GW
Posted By
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I stop images opening into the maximised screen mode. It’ driving me crazy every time I open a fresh image I have to keep pressing the F key or expose or dock to see my original program.

PS7 never did this…… is it a PC bug on the Mac version? AAAAAHHHhhhhh!

Please someone tell me I can switch it off in a preference somewhere.

Thanks, Gareth.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 18, 2008
Gareth,

If your application preferences are shot, simply reset them: Simultaneously press Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop until you see a message.

Neil
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Hi

I don’t think its a preferences issue. I thought it was the new way CS3 opens images onto a grey background rather than seeing my desktop behind the open image.

I would just like to know if anyone knows a way or reverting back to the old way?

Thanks, Gareth.
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2008
keep hitting the f key till you get back to no background.

make sure you close photoshop with no background.

Also trashing prefs will put you back to default settings, no background.

With CS3 Adobe added the maximize setting first, then full screen mode (gray) full screen (black)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
Or make your own keyboard shortcuts to simply toggle directly between your two most-used screen modes.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
The thing is I don’t want to have to keep pressing the F key or a short cut key. I just want PS to open images with no backgroud like a Mac should and always used to….

Is there no way of making it do this?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 18, 2008
Gareth,

I don’t think its a preferences issue.

But did you try? It takes just a minute or two to know if it is.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
Is there no way of making it do this?

Not in CS3.

But the keystroke toggle trick could save you a lot of angst (it has for me!) until Photoshop changes the way it currently works.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Well I’ve found a way (via the fredmiranda forum) to stop CS3 doing this.

And for anyone else sick of the grey background, all you need to do is save the standard screen mode as your default workspace…… easy if you know how.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
And when you close a file in Full Screen mode; and then open a new file…what happens?
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2008
The default is no background. resetting your prefs will get you there.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Closing a file in full screen view opens the next in full screen.

This is so annoying.

How do I set up a key stroke toggle to speed things up or is this just the F key shortcut?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
What I did (because that situation in CS3 absolutely infuriated me too!) was to set

F13 to go to "Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar"

and

Shift F13 for "Standard Screen Mode".

Then I never again had to be subjected to that abominable Maximized Screen mode.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks Ann, I’ll give the key shortcut route a go.

I don’t understand why Adobe think us Mac users would like the PC versions working enviroment over one we’ve used and loved for years. Its so restrictive and counter productive to have to keep hitting key strokes if you open up more than one image at a time.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2008
Things may change?

They were positively deluged with complaints about the CS3 GUI.

Watch next week’s podcast to see what Adobe may be cooking-up for CS4.
PR
Paul_R
Sep 18, 2008
Another way would be to use a script to set the screen mode on opening a document. Here is a script that should do the job.
Download Me <http://www.aoow34.dsl.pipex.com/Download/ScreenMode.zip> Place the script in:
[hard drive]/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Presets/Scripts/ Then setup File-Scripts-Script Event Manager to use this script on open document.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks Paul.

I’ll downlaod and give it a try.

I’ll let you know how I get on.
GW
Gareth_Walker
Sep 19, 2008
Hey Paul, just letting you know the script works a treat.

No more grey background on opening an image.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections