Posted By
Mark_Ortega
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I put up an earlier post on this topic and Chuck snyder was kind enough to respond. His info headed me in the right direction. However he also mentioned adjusting resolution as well. I started playing around with the various parameters in Elements and quickly got very confused. As an experiment I printed the same photo all croped to letter size, at different resolutions. One at 25 ppi(pixels per inch), one at 300 ppi and one at 1000 ppi. The only one that printed differently was the 25 ppi print. It looked noticibly pixelated out. The other two prints, one at 300 ppi and one at 1000 ppi looked identical. The only real difference between them was the 1000 ppi took about five times longer for Elements to proccess and deliver the info. to the printer. I also had the "resampling" box in the resizing menu unchecked for this experiment. That is when I decided to get a book on Elements at the local book store. I ended up getting "the photoshop elements book" by Scott Kelby, copyright 2004. He does say that this book is a down and dirty approach to using Elements, without much theory to bog the reader down. This is great for most of the chapters such as red eye removal etc. Unfortunatly when it came to the one topic in his book that was the most important to me, resizing, croping and resolution and how they all relate for the best quality print, his approach left me with more questions than answers. He seems to suggest that to much resolution can lead to a poor print quality. In my test I saw no difference between 300 ppi and 1000 ppi. Can I assume to play it on the safe side always print at 300 ppi of resolution or higher? If anyone could explain the fundementals of this subject that would be great. I fear however it is just to complex to get into that kind of detail on this forum. Perhaps there is a book that someone could recommend on Elements that specifically deals with this issue, or maybe I need to read a basic book on digital darkroom theory. Could someone maybe post a link to some good article on the subject. Fortunely for right now I don’t feel compelled to learn about color management issues as I am very satisfied with the colors of my prints from my Canon i9100. But I’m sure that day will come!

Thanks in advanced,

Mark Ortega

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jhjl1
Apr 28, 2004
For most images a PPI of between 200 and 300 seems to work. As your test showed you a PPI of 25 is far to low. Some people get by with less than 200 on certain images, you will have to decide for yourself. Keep in mind that the further away the image is viewed the lower the PPI you can get away with.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Hi everyone,
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 28, 2004
Mark,

Wayne Fulton’s site has the info you desire and clearly presented.

<http://scantips.com>
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 28, 2004
As you’re trying to get a handle on this, Mark, also keep in mind that personal preference, equipment, and subject can also guide you on matters of resolution. As James has already pointed out, a picture that is hanging on the wall won’t have to be as "crisp" as one you want to give to people to impress them with your skills! I’ve also found my printer’s sweet spot is right around 250 – 260ppi. Below that, I can see a softening of some images; above that the extra system resources (time being one!) don’t seem to justify the imperceptible increase in quality. If, though, I was doing a portrait and wanted each eyelash clearly visible, I would go for something higher. On the other hand, I created a portrait style print that I couldn’t get over 180ppi, and the softer effect probably enhanced the picture.

You’ll begin to develop a feel for this quite soon, so take the best advice you can find on sites like the one Nancy provided to get you going. You’ll soon figure out what you like and how to get there. Good luck!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 28, 2004
Beth, you had me thinking that I hope someday that I will be able to afford to test my printer and all it’s umpteen settings. Freekin ink and paper !!!! Of course, if I didn’t buy myself that Fuji I could have probably been able to….but…lovin the Fuji sooooo…..maybe someday 🙂
DT
Diana_Tarter
May 11, 2004
After saving an image in PSelemnts2 using 180 or 200ppi -when I then open the image in Painter 8, I only get 1/4 of the image showing in Painter8 in upper left of the window. I am using Panther10.3.2. If, I instead transfer the image from photodelux-this does not seem to be a problem.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections