Posted By
dimitris_katsafouros
Oct 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there.
I never really needed to know this before so forgive my ignorance. Recently I bought CS4 and I would like to use it in my workplace and at home. The IT department moves very slowly so I thought why not install my copy at work. The question is can I do that?
Pixologic has that policy as long as you won’t be using them at the same time. Which is quite handy since you can’t be in 2 places at the same time!!! Does adobe have the same policy?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2008
You can do that — but you had better check with your IT people that you are allowed to install your own software on their System.

And you will need to remember to de-activate CS4 and remove it from the office computer if you leave the company.
——-

Recently I bought CS4

Hang on … Do you mean CS4?

How did you do that — CS4 hasn’t shipped yet!
DK
dimitris_katsafouros
Oct 7, 2008
That’s good news.
I’m glad I can do that. But is there a support document where I can double check?

Ha-ha. It’s a pre-order. I haven’t got it yet but I can’t wait! The only problem is that I’m pretty sure that it’ll tun like sh.. on the office computer. It’s a G5.
DK
dimitris_katsafouros
Oct 7, 2008
Well it’s settled.
I just saw this in the support documents
"If you own, or are the primary user of a single-user Adobe product that is installed on a computer at work, you can also install and use the software on one secondary computer of the same platform at home or on a portable computer. However, you may not run the software simultaneously on both the primary and secondary computers."

GREAT!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 7, 2008
I can reassure you regarding the G5.

Photoshop CS4 runs beautifully on a G5.

Your only problem may be that, unless you have a suitable video card (minimum of 256MB VRAM and with Model Shader 3.0), you won’t be able to use the new OpenGL features — but, apart from that, everything else will work.

For more about suitable video cards for CS4:
Ann Shelbourne, "Recommendations sought for a GL Video card for a G5 Dual 2 GHz" #, 29 Sep 2008 1:28 pm </webx?14>
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 8, 2008
Be aware, often installing personal software for an employer relinquishes your rights to the software. It’s important to have something in writing stating the software is yours and no license is transferred to the company and the software must be removed if you leave you position.

In all honesty, it’s a really bad move to put personal items on any computer at work.
B
Buko
Oct 8, 2008
In all honesty, it’s a really bad move to put personal items on any computer at work.

I agree, I would never pay hundreds of dollars for software and install it on a work computer. If they(work) need the software they should buy it. If they are suggesting you buy it so they can benefit, forget it. Buy it and if they need work done do it on your own time and charge them extra for the work.
G
graffiti
Oct 8, 2008
If they are suggesting you buy it so they can benefit, forget it

Sounds to me like the company may be in the process of getting it but dimitris is a little impatient and wants to install his version if he gets it first.

(yeah. I’m glad I’m the only Mac user where I work. It takes IT forever to get around to installing software for the Winders folk that depend on them to do it.)
DK
dimitris_katsafouros
Oct 8, 2008
Yep that’s exactly it. Graffiti.
I don’t want to wait if I can get it know and practice on the new features. Their IT is quite slow. Just a few weeks ago they installed CS3 on a few machines. Not all of them just a few. That means that in a years time or more they will have all of the people on CS3…. If I don’t install it myself I might never learn CS4…
And unfortunately when I go back home I rarely want to open my computer and start learning… I’m not concerned so much about what the IT will say but more of the backwards compatibility. I’m pretty sure I could save to CS3 compatible files but what about CS2?
DK
dimitris_katsafouros
Oct 8, 2008
Anne I reread your post and you mentioned something about deactivating the suite if I leave my work.
How would I go about doing that? I won’t be needing it anytime soon I hope, but it’s good to know how that works.
R
Ram
Oct 8, 2008
Go to the Tools menu (or is it Help menu?) and select deactivate.
B
Buko
Oct 8, 2008
CS3 only lets you deactivate 20 times before you get cut off deactivating just to deactivate is not a good idea. Only deactivate and remove software if you leave the company
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2008
To re-iterate Message #1:

And you will need to remember to de-activate CS4 and remove it from the office computer if you leave the company.

8/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections