Open With on Right Click menu gone in 2.0???

SM
Posted By
Steve_Malpass
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

I’ve just upgraded to Elements 2.0 from v1.0. In the past I used to open JPEGs by using Windows Explorer, right clicking the image thumbnail and choosing Open With… Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Now I notice that since installing v2.0, Photoshop is missing from the list of programs that can be used to open this type of file. When I browse to where Photoshop is, it simply refuses to open.

Anyone know if there’s a way to get Photoshop back on the list?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 5, 2004
Steve,

Try to associate it manually… Right click on any image, choose Open With… Then pick Photoshop Elements. It should appear in the list after that.

Ray
SM
Steve_Malpass
May 5, 2004
That’s just the problem – it doesn’t! This is how I normally do it but Photoshop is simply not on the list.

When I installed it I was given the option something like ‘Please choose all the files that Photoshop Elements can open.’ I took this to mean that if I did this, PE would become the DEFAULT program for opening these files (which I don’t want – Windows Picture Viewer is better for this).

Should I have ticked the JPEG box at this point?

Thanks!
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 5, 2004
Run a search on the forum, I did post a solution for this (it involves modifying a key in the Windows registry which is now pointing to PE1 and should point to PE2). Unfortunately, it’s been several months, and I’m on a Mac now, so I don’t have access to the my win machine (not easily anyway)

Ray
SM
Steve_Malpass
May 5, 2004
I’ve just spent the last hour searching with all permutations of ‘Open With Registry Edit’ etc. to no avail. Can find similar items (such as right-click Open With… openeing PE but not the image) but not my problem!

Aaaaaarghhhh! Any ideas? I’m beginning to wish I stuck with v.1.0. Is there any way of mailing Adobe and asking them?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 5, 2004
Coming from a Mac user this may sound really dumb, but what the heck. Have you restarted your computer since the installation? I was having a bear of a problem with the printer on our Win XP Pro machine. When I got mad, shut the thing down, cursed at it for five minutes, and then restarted, the problem went away. I know it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but…
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 5, 2004
Steve,

If you are on XP try the following. I just successfully added Irfanview to the open list this way.

Right Click the file in Explorer. Select Open With. Below the list of associated programs click Choose Program. In the window that opens look under Other Programs click on Elements. Be sure there is no check mark in "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Click OK.

The default will remain the same but Elements will now be in the Open With list.

Bob
SM
Steve_Malpass
May 6, 2004
Tried that but only PE 1.0 is listed. Browsing to 2.0 makes no differnce. Thanks anyway.

BUT I have managed to fix it! It appeared it was some kind of registry problem after all. When I uninstalled 1.0 the first time I remember being asked if I wanted to keep certain shared files. To be safe I said yes. So what I did to fix it was uninstall 2.0 completely, reinstall 1.0 again, uninstall 1.0 completely, making sure to delete ALL shared files when prompted, manually delete the program destination folder that was left then reinstall 2.0 – BINGO right-clicking an image now has PE 2.0 available on the Open With menu!

Thanks everyone for your help, anyway!
SD
Shrilly_Drabble
May 6, 2004
Ah Yes I have had similar probelms with Serif programs, everything has to be uninstalled it seems. HUmph to windows.
Now I use a MAc for most photo stuff.:-)
Cheers Shrilly

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections