JK
Posted By
JL_King
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It seems lately, that any gradients, drop shadows, and glows don’t look right on my computer. Out of nowhere, it seems, they all look very choppy. I’m used to smooth gradients, and I use them quite a bit. I have gradients set at 100% smooth, and yet they still continue to look choppy. Is there some setting I don’t know about to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 20, 2008
Did you by any chance change your monitor color display setting?
JK
JL_King
Oct 21, 2008
Actually, no. I haven’t changed a thing on my computer. Is there a solution to this, or a certain color setting I don’t know about? The display is set for "millions" of colors, at 1440×900 (I have a 15" MacBook Pro), and is set on Color LCD as my display profile.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 21, 2008
The Apple portable LCD screens will show banding in gradients in MANY cases. This is a limitation of the screen, not Photoshop and often not due to your color settings. Although color settings can have a play in it as well. Simply, the portable screens do not have a "million" color depth. They have a "thousands" color depth then use dithering to display the rest of the colors. This dithering will show banding in gradients. This is one primary reason why portable computers and not the best systems for color accurate work. And this is not merely Apple machines, almost all portable computers will have this issue.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 21, 2008
The things to do are twofold:

1: do the math. If you have a short gradient change (e.g. 20 percent to 25 percent) over a long distance (lets say 10 inches) then you will have a percentage change every 2 inches. Without a awful (literally and figuratively) lot of noise you will notice banding.

2: After doing the math (and then knowing what the distance should be for each percentage change), slowly move the dropper across (up, down, follow the gradient) and see when/if a change occurs when you see one occur on the screen.

also I’ve done some tests and my 16 bit gradients weren’t always better than my 8 bit (go figure)

alan
SF
Steve_Fairbairn
Oct 22, 2008
Also try to avoid JPG when saving. The JPG artifact will damage smooth gradients, so use tiff, binary, bitmap or png if you want to keep things really smoooooth 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections