I can’t scroll while zoomed in to use magnetic lasso?

CM
Posted By
Christopher_Mason
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a keyboard short cut to allow me to scroll up/down left/right while I am zoomed in close using the magnetic lasso? If I just go the edge it moves way to fast and I have to ctrl-backspace to get rid of all the bad selections?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
Hold down Space Bar.

M
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 10, 2004
Well Mac … I for one have never got the hang of the magnetic lasso because of this. I now will go and give it another try.

Thanks for tip 🙂

Wendy
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 11, 2004
Just keep the mouse button depressed, move with spacebar/hand, and have it back where you left off with the lasso when you release the spacebar.

Mac
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 11, 2004
Mac,

I think that I have nearly got it 🙂 … not the easiest of tools to work with ! …..

Wendy
RC
Robert_Camacho
May 11, 2004
Thanks for the spacebar tip – Always wanted to be able to do this scrolling while maintaining what I had already lassoed. 🙂
TF
Terri_Foster
May 11, 2004
Wendy,

Try adjusting on the width and edge contrast settings located in the options bar. These settings make a big difference how the magnetic lasso operates.

Terri
DS
Dick_Smith
May 11, 2004
Also, don’t forget that if "it" wanders that you can hit the "del"ete key and back up to the last good anchor spot.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
May 11, 2004
Oh, and one other thing. I sometimes find that the Selection Brush tool set to selection is a good way to select part of an image. It takes a little getting used to as well but it does a good job.

Dick
TF
Terri_Foster
May 11, 2004
Also the width can be changed during the magnetic lasso’s use by using the [ and ] which is handy if working from a big contrast area to a tight squeeze. Let’s see also can tap or click to drop an anchor in those places the lasso gets "distracted".

Terri
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 11, 2004
Well I have had another go … but still it behaves like an erratic whirlwind …

I think that I will stick with the ordinary lasso, as its much better behaved 🙂

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
May 12, 2004
Wendy,

One other thought. How much are you zooming in? Sometimes that can help to make the movement erratic as you have to grad the spacebar and move so often.

Dick
SS
Susan_S.
May 12, 2004
You can get to see exactly how wide the magnetic lasoo’s grab area is (and how it varies with pen pressure if you are using a tablet) by putting the caps lock key on while using it….but don’t forget to turn it off again afterwards!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections