D
Posted By
daveydave
Oct 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is a dumb question, but can anyone point me to a good way of doing this? I have been searching the internet desperately to no avail! Thank you in advance!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2008
What kind of images? What format?

Bitmap can mean two things: The "normal" meaning is an image composed of pixels, no vectors. But in Photoshop Bitmap Mode refers to one bit per channel, a stark black and white with no gray tones.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
image > mode > grayscale.

Image > mode > bitmap
D
daveydave
Oct 25, 2008
I am basically taking a photoshop file – and wanting to create a bitmap composed of pixels. (So I can import it into InDesign for example and be able to apply different color swatches to it easily).

I do see the "bitmap" option in Image > Mode. But it won’t let me select it?

Thanks for the replies!
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2008
As Buko said, go to grayscale first. But you will get a black and white image. I suspect that is what you are after.

See my first post. If it’s the "normal" kind of bitmap (raster) image, just flatten and Save as tiff, jpeg or whatever.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2008
By the way, you can apply swatches to grayscale images in InDesign

only if they don’t contain transparency
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2008
You can if it’s a transparent tiff.
D
daveydave
Oct 25, 2008
YES thank you! Helped out lots!

You can make transparent tiffs? How? I usually save as PNG-24 (for Illustrator) or PSD (for InDesign) if I need to preserve a transparent background?
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2008
Tiffs have had a transparent option since 6, I believe…or maybe it was 5.5. Just take your graphic with transparency and Save As Tiff. There’s a Save Transparency check box in the Tiff Options dialog when you Save.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
You can not colorize a grayscale image with transparency in ID. I don’t care how you save it.
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2008
Buko,

I just did it with a transparent tiff. Honest.
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2008
Hmmmm…

Even though it’s transparent in Photoshop the Transparency disappears in InDesign.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
I told you.

To colorize a grayscale image in ID it can not contain transparency, whether its saved as a TIF or PSD.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections