DG
Posted By
David_G_House
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Being new the the world of Digital Cameras I was told a couple of things I am not sure of.

1. My Nikon 5400 uses the CF Card, and I was told that I need to "defrag" the card, whcih does not make sence seeing as I Reformat after I’ve downloaded the images. (And if I do need to defrag the card how is that done)?

2. That using the Fire Wire from the Camera to the USB Port is not good for the Camera. (I was using the Nikon View Upload but find it’s faster to go into My Computer and take the images from "Removeable Disk").

Any advise would be apprecirated

David..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
May 18, 2004

1) Formatting after downloading images is perfectly fine, defragging the card seems questionable to me, considering how often we get the card ‘s format scrambled. I’d go with the re-format option <G> .

2) I’m not sure that Fire Wire is compatible with USB port, so there may be a little confusion there. Most of us use Card Readers for the CF card and copy using "My Computer" as you describe. The difference is that our cameras are not out on the table , tethered by a cable, with the possibility of falling off and breaking the attachment port, or something else ( Dogs and cats have been known to be playful ) . Using a card reader puts the camera less at risk, I think.

🙂

Brent
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 18, 2004
I would agree. Reformat ‘in camera’. Purchase and use a ‘card reader’.
SS
Susan_S.
May 18, 2004
….but if using a card reader, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for ejecting the card before removal from the reader carefully, and never pull a card out of reader or turn the camera off while a card is being written to. Otherwise Disaster can Strike. (and keep the receipts just in case disaster does strike!)

I’ve always reformatted in camera and use a card reader, and I’ve only fried one CF card so far. (oops). I haven’t killed a digital camera yet though.
J
jhjl1
May 18, 2004
Some cameras (Rebel for one) have some built in protection. The camera will stay on until write process is over even if turned off.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
turn the camera off while a card is being written to. Otherwise
Disaster can Strike.
DG
David G House
May 18, 2004
Thank you all for your advise…

I am going to purchase a Card Reader, was intending to… I’ve gotted teh message about turning the cam off before "disconnecting" that one I’ve learned… "Phew" there was no damge….

Brent, please excuse if I am using terminology out of place… ( I’m new.. 🙂 ) what I was referring to in terms of "Fire Wire" is the the connection between the Camera and the Computer.. I believe what I am plugging into is a USB Port.

Thanks again guys & gals….

David

P.S.

I don’t have as many pic’s on line as the rest of you but I have started my own web site, please let me know your impressions..

www.freewebs.com/digital__photography
J
jhjl1
May 18, 2004
Thanks for the link, nice site.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
I don’t have as many pic’s on line as the rest of you but I have
started my own web site, please let me know your impressions..
www.freewebs.com/digital__photography
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 18, 2004
Firewire uses a Firewire port, also known as 1394.

USB uses a USB port.

They are completely different hardware interfaces.

Your computer may well have both, but they are NOT interchangeable.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 18, 2004
Meant to add, most card readers are USB (either 1.1 or 2.0 speed), but there are also Firewire readers.

Mac
DG
David G House
May 18, 2004
Thanks Mac.. Like I’ve said I am new to the Digital technology and may have some of the terminology incorrect…. thank you for the corrections..

David
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 19, 2004
I don’t have as many pic’s on line as the rest of you but I have started my own web site, please let me know your impressions..

Like your site David. It displays very rapidly and is laid out nicely. It would be better if you could click on the photo and get a larger version. Some very nice work.

And yes, actually I can see why you love her. 🙂
DG
David G House
May 19, 2004
🙂 Thanks Mark…. Grant had the same comment about making the images larger with a "click".. unfortunately… "freewebs" is just that… free.. and ya get what ya pay for… I can make the images larger but that takes away for any space for text… as I am new at this I am sure I will earn as I go…

David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections