BC
Posted By
Birck_Cox
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is anal, but I like to keep my brush presets arranged in order of size from larger to smaller, top to bottom. Now, after using CS3 for about 6 months, then adding OS 10.5.5, I can’t keep them in order. It’s like the battery is dying or something. Every time I start up Photoshop, that is every day, I have to go into the Presets Manager and rearrange everything all over again. It’s driving me crazy. Note: they always de-arrange into the same order; maybe it’s the order I originally wrote them in. I don’t know. I don’t care. What do I have to do? I’m on a G5 PM 2GHz w/ 1.5 GB RAM.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
Have you changed your battery?

does this happen in a new user?

do you use your bracket keys to change brush size?
BC
Birck_Cox
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the post. I dug in a bit further. To recap: I’ve arranged the tool/brush presets just so. If I quit Photoshop, restart or shutdown, upon start, the presets have reverted to a different order. Always the same order, just not the order I left them in. Every single time. The battery is fine. I tested it. Time and date are fine, and all other PRAM details are OK. I keep a Test User, tried that, and I get the same problem. I don’t use the bracket keys. I Called Adobe TS and the agent assured me, after on-the-spot testing, that no version of CS in combo with Tiger or Leopard has EVER maintained a list of brush presets in a specific order. All I can say to that is, quote: "Horse puckey", unquote. IF that is the case, then A: What the heck is the Preset Manager for? B: what was happening here in my computer for the past ten years or so? and C: If the Preset Manager can manage to keep the brush SIZE presets arranged in the user-defined sequence ad nauseum, why is it impossible to keep the brush TOOL presets in a user-defined sequence? Can anybody help? I’m getting tired of poking the Preset Manager every day.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 4, 2008
Birck,

I just tested my Preset Manager and brushes by moving them around and then relaunching Photoshop CS3 and the brushes stayed where I’d moved them. If I had the problem you describe I’d suspect the brushes preference file was corrupt. To test my theory I’d probably try setting up my brushes the way I wanted and save the set so I could reload them.

Then I’d close Photoshop, go to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings/Brushes.psp and drag that brushes preference file to the desktop. Upon relaunching Photoshop, I’d expect to see a default set of brushes. Once more I’d open the Preset Manager and Load my saved set of brushes, replacing the default set. Theoretically that would create a new Brushes preferences file and might well eliminate your problem.
BC
Birck_Cox
Nov 4, 2008
OK, I just tried that. It didn’t work, in two different ways. For one, the default set of brushes didn’t load when I re-started PS after dumping the brush presets, rather, my de-organized presets loaded, in the bad order. Then, when I deleted those with the Presets Manager and loaded my organized set, they showed up ok, but after I quit and re-started PS, they had reverted to the usual de-organized hurrah’s nest.
Maybe it’s a terminology problem. I select the brush tool in the toolbox, then go up to the Options Bar-lefthand end-to the brush tool icon, dropdown menu, pick a brush style (hard, soft, airbrush, two different sizes, etc), then move over to the brush SIZE dropdown menu just to the right of the brush tool icon. I am referring to the left hand brush TOOL dropdown menu as the "brush tool preset" menu. Is that accurate? Or is there more or less to it? Can I store the Brush sizes menu too?
B
Buko
Nov 4, 2008
see if you can keep your brush positions in a new user.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections