JW
Posted By
Jim_Whiting
May 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I click on "Help" (or press F1), Photoshop Elements opens a browser window with the following URL:
<http://%1%20>" file:/C:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20Elements%202/Help /Help.html "

And I get the message that IE could not link to the web page.

Other than this user forum and the manual, there does not seem to be any type of help files available. Anybody have any ideas on how to access help?

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2004
Which version of Windows are you using? Which version of IE? What’s your ISP? There are some people with internet service providers who provide non-standard browsers (AOL, CompuServe, Yahoo.) They need to configure the default browser on their system to a plain vanilla version of IE 5.0 or higher. There are also some people who use XP who just can’t seem to get the Help files to work properly and have to resort to a desktop shortcut. The Help files should have installed on your hard drive at the time the application went on, so it’s most likely just finding the key to accessing them. Do you see them within the Elements application folder on your hd?
JW
Jim_Whiting
May 31, 2004
Hi Beth,
You’ve got me started in the right direction. My help files are trying to open with a Yahoo Browser. I changed the association to IE 6 in Windows Explorer and in Control Panel. Now when I open a help file directly from the help folder it opens in IE, but when I hit F1 or use Help from the menu, it still tries to open with the Yahoo Browser. I’ve got SBC-Yahoo as my ISP, but I always use IE as my browser. Ya think if I removed the Yahoo Browser from the computer, it would default to IE?

BTW, I’m using XP Home with IE 6.0xxx
Thanks!
Jim
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 31, 2004
IE is probably still not default browser in general.
Control Panel/Internet Options (or Tools/Internet Options in IE itself): Programs: check "IE should check to see if it is default browser"

Restart IE. Did it ask?

M
BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2004
Jim, I speak Windows as a second language, and even then it’s XP Pro, so I’m not sure if I can get you any farther! I’ve never tried using the F keys on my Mac so am totally unfamiliar with that. I also know that some people using XP Pro never can get this to work correctly and wind up having to create a desktop shortcut. That’s done by opening the Help files manually and creating a shortcut from just about any page. They leave that on their desktop and access from there. Once you have one Help page open you can navigate to any other part.

I apologize for not being adept enough to help you all the way through this, but maybe somebody else will come along and give you better instructions!
O
o3v3tz
Jun 1, 2004
I also have SBC-Yahoo as my ISP with XP Home, IE 6 and Elements 2 and I strongly suspect that the Yahoo Browser is the culprit here.

I had problems after the last time I updated the SBC-Yahoo software, but I was eventually able to use only IE including the PSE 2 Help Menu or PF1. So it is possible and we just need to find what else you should change.

You said you changed the association in Control Panel and Windows Explorer. Did you specifically change all individual extensions in the Control Panel => Folder Options => Files Types list of file extensions ?

I remember that it (the Yahoo browser) had modified the individual file extensions (like .htm and .html and others) and they showed the funny SBC-Yahoo airplane instead of the usual IE logo. It also made the SBC-Yahoo browser the default browser.

Did the Control Panel => Internet Options => Programs box of "IE should check to see if it is the default browser" that Mac recommended resolve the problem ?

If it still does not work, I suspect that we need to find some indicator within the SBC browser itself to set. So post your results and we can investigate further if necessary.

Barbara
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 2, 2004
You can try this:
Go into Control Panel , Internet options, Programs and then selected "Reset Web Settings" this will reset Internet Explorer as the default.

Still not working?

I think somehow that Elements links to the default browser (ex IE) at installation. Even if You change htm/html files to open with ex Wordpad, Elements still try to open the (html) helpfiles with the default browser.

It might help to uninstall Elements, set a "clean" IE as default browser and then install Elements again.

Good luck, if You try!

Micke
O
o3v3tz
Jun 2, 2004
Jim Whiting

Suggest that you post an update on whether it is still not working for you.

I was eventually able to make Elements use IE (instead of the SBC-Yahoo browser) from the Help Menu or PF1 without reinstalling Elements.

Barbara

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections