RS
Posted By
Rico_Schwartzberg
Nov 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The UI changes in CS4 keep messing with my head.

I’ve been using a basic workflow for years to set shadow and highlight points using the Threshold adjustment layer.

-In the layers palette open up a Threshold adjustment layer. -No matter what tool is currently selected in the tool bar, it now switches to the Eyedropper Tool -I drag the Threshold slider to the left to find my shadow, hold the shift key and the Eyedropper enables me to set a sample point. I drag to the right to find my highlight and repeat.
-I cancel the Threshold dialog and I now have my shadow and highlight sample points to work with.

However, now that CS4 has reconstituted the UI for adjustment layers, these behaviors no longer function.

When you now select a Threshold layer, the too bar does not automatically switch to the Eyedropper Tool. You have to manually select the Color Sampler Tool. This creates 1 or 2 extra steps as I usually have the tool bar default to the Eyedropper Tool as I use this more often. It’s no longer as easy as using the keyboard to hit the Shift key and quickly set a sample point.

The curious thing is that if you use the Menu to select Image/Adjustments/Threshold you get the old dialog box which functions like CS3.

I have to editorialize and say that this feels like the most cobbled together Photoshop upgrade I’ve yet seen from Adobe since I began working with version 2.5.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections