A
Posted By
AK
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After a lot of searching the various boards and Adobe and Nikon websites without finding plug-ins for the NEF format available with the D70, I found that there are actually plug-ins provided with PictureProject, which is a sort of simpleminded transfer and edit application provided with the D70. These allow PSE to open NEF files. (I have PSE 1, but I assume PSE 2 is the same or better)

In the interests of helping others that have been looking for these plug-ins, I thought I’d post the names and locations of the files. They are in your

C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject folder (assuming a standard install), and are named:

Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi
and
Nikon YCC TIFF.8BI.

I don’t know if you need both, or which is the correct or better one – I simply copied them both into my Elements folder at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Plug-Ins\Automate, and, to be on the safe side, to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Plug-Ins.

PSE then opens the files, though, as I think others have noted, the EXIF info is not available.

(a pity that such a great camera comes with such poor software, BTW – or that you have to pay for the presumably more powerful Nikon Capture 4.1 which comes as a trial version)

Alan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections