S
Posted By
southclark
Dec 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does this product work well, anybody know? I have never built a website, but now need a very simple one.
<http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/overview.php>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
there was some discussion of site grinder in the GoLive forum.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 1, 2008
southclark,

GoLive (or Dreamweaver) would be the appropriate place to ask about this Web product.

Neil
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 1, 2008
I don’t know the product, but my rule of thumb (you did ask, sort of) is:

If the product is very simple to use then if you want to do something sophisticated it is very difficult.

If the product is difficult to use, once you get over a (somewhat steep–dreamweaver) learning curve, then it is easy to do the sophisticated.

I find this over and over, if you go for the easy and then you suddenly decide you need this or that, something not built into the templates, easy commands, then fuggedaboudit.

Even Dreamweaver which I recently used (don’t ask me why) over flash: I had to do dissolves from one page/image to the next and I had to go to scripting.

alan
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Isn’t SiteGrinder a Photoshop plugin geared for Photoshop users that do not use other web authoring tools like GoLive (or Dreamweaver)?

A forum search for ‘sitegrinder’ produces no results in the GoLive forums but quite a few in the Photoshop forums.

Does this product work well, anybody know?

I don’t know about its capabilities but you may also look at Freeway Express as another similar option to creating a basic web site (and a bit cheaper too).
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 1, 2008
<http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/>

Do a little googling
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Alan, thanks for repeating the link provided by southclark in the original post. My questioning of SiteGrinder as a Photoshop plugin was a subtle jab at a couple posters that were misdirecting to other forums that really did not apply.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
The people on actual web applications forums know about site grinder and can give a good comparison about the type of site made with actual web apps compared to one made with this plugin. If I was spending that kind of money I would want to know the difference.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
Buko’s probably right. So where was this discussed in the GoLive forum?

Oddly, maybe a discussion in the InDesign forum <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b4e1c9/5> about SiteGrinder may help.
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 1, 2008
I think they have a demo–its the only way to know fer sure. One can’t really trust anyone but themselves.

It may sound paranoid but its been proven true.

alan
CP
Chris_Perkins
Dec 1, 2008
SiteGrinder Rocks, but since I am one of its programmers you should not take my word for it. Try it out yourself.

There is a demo version to try out: <http://www.medialab.com/downloads>

And free online training classes most Wednesdays: <http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/webtraining>

We also have some good training videos, docs, sample files and tech support if you should need it. <http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/learningcenter.html>

Chris Perkins
Media Lab, Inc.
RR
Rob_Reiter
Dec 19, 2008
I have used it for a couple of years and love it. It works fine in CS4. Not a difficult program and excellent, quick email support. Good tutorials online as well as "live." I wish there was a PDF version of the online manual, but that’s my only complaint. My website, www.lightroom.com, was created with it and the MediaLab site has lots of examples.

Try the free trial version and go through some of the tutorials.
MR
Mike_Romeau
Dec 20, 2008
Chris,

I’m sure that your product "rocks", but it is to my understanding that you should not be advertising your product on this forum.

We talk about Photoshop!

Mike
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2008
To be fair to Chris, he only responded to somebody else’s topic!

🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 20, 2008
And, for some Photoshop users, it’s genuinely useful information.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
Mike,

And from my standpoint, Chris’s post is primarily an informational response to a legitimate question; not commercial exploitation.

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2008
To be fair to Chris, he only responded to somebody else’s topic!

Exactly! It not like he came in here and posted his own thread about it. I see nothing wrong with his post and if he wants to come back and answer more questions he is very welcome to do so.

Chris is not the first person from a 3rd party product who supports Photoshop that has popped in to talk about their product.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
Actually, it is good if developers of plug-ins/hardware respond to questions raised about their products in the forums.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
Actually, it is good if developers of plug-ins/hardware respond to questions raised about their products in the forums. (But simply stopping by to promote such products is verboten.)

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 20, 2008
I remember when the Norton AV guy popped in and admitted they were destroying PSDs.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
Now if we can get an Nvidia guy to stop by and respond to the monitor artifacts problem brought up in another topic… <g>

Neil
P
Phosphor
Dec 20, 2008
And in case any of the SiteGrinder folks do check back on this thread, I have this suggestion for their site:

Kill the Flash thing at the front door to the site. It’s cool looking but it’s a pain in the ass. Loading and viewing it once is enough.

Also, you guys need to put together a page which clearly compares and contrasts feature differences between the Regular and Pro versions of the application. If you already have one, make it easier to find.
B
Buko
Jan 2, 2009
Here you go Peter.
P
peterpica
Jan 2, 2009
BUKO: Whata guy!

TX!
P
peterpica
Jan 2, 2009
I currently use Freeway Pro but have found that it’s special effects tools less than attractive; building these in PS, then importing is an extra step that I’m looking to eliminate, hence my interest in SG. It’s picture gallery capability is quite impressive, too. The only thing I don’t care for is the pricetag… $350. I’ll probably stick with Freeway until I get a project that can absorb the dinaro’s.
D
dsp11
Jan 7, 2009
i’ve been using freeway pro, this is nice and easy to use to get started. it does have some creative limitations that can be very annoying.

Because of this i have been interested in Site- Grinder. To me this site has a lot that appeals to me.

Basically the fact that you have your free rang of what photoshop offers you is fantastic! rather than going to and throw through the programs can do in one place (creatively) i’m still learning it (on trial first!) like any new program i have to get my head around it. once i know it i’m sure i’ll feel very simple!

In my opinion i like freeway.. good for a basic site with some added fun features. But find it limiting.

Like the looks and idea behind SiteGrinder, appears to be simple enough with full photoshop creativity!! .. lets see how i go!

D
P
philiptobias
Jan 7, 2009
SiteGrinder is a useful program, and its technical support is very good. I have used SiteGrinder while prototyping various Web sites.

If you know how to use Photoshop, with SiteGrinder you can quickly output your Photoshop layouts as working, valid Web pages.

I recommend using a program like Dreamweaver to maintain the pages, such as when content changes are needed. I also recommend naming the Photoshop layers intelligently; that will make the code simpler to understand.

Give the program demo a try. And check out the online training resources, too.

Hope that helps. …pt
PL
Peter_Lancaster
Jan 7, 2009
I have used sitegrinder 2 for various projects and i must say its fantastic. best if you know some css/html as i found you need to tweak little things to make it 100% as want (as i wanted a flexible/stretchy website) but for static websites its hard to beat it! takes little time to learn and setup at the end of the design process.

5/5 from me for the product!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections