CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One of the things that’s been on my mind is the durability of the memory cards and cameras, considering how many time we may want to plug/unplug them. Working in the electronics industry I’ve always been aware of connector mating life cycles. So I did a little digging.

From the survey of about 5-6 connector manufacturers the life cycle of a Compact Flash card connector is between 5,000 and 10,000 mating cycles.

For the USB connector on the camera, survey said typically 5,000 although one company stated only 1500.

My calculator tells me there will be a new camera on the market that I’ll have to have before the connectors wear out.

Colin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
Jane Carter
Jun 9, 2004
Hi Colin, Thank you for this research, we were having a family ‘talk’ about this very subject on Sunday. (I won)
Jane
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 9, 2004
The other part of the equation was how many times can you erase your memory. This seems to be in the region of 100K times per block, minimum.

The controllers should be clever enough to employ wear levelling routines to increase the life of the module even further.

Once again, more than I’ll need.

Are you keeping score, Jane…:-)

Colin
PW
paul_watts
Jun 10, 2004
hi,im having trouble downloading pics. from my minolta dimage A2,the file is 100km003 but it doesnt reconise this,ive loaded dimage viewer ok,any help would be very much apprecated,thankyou very much.PAUL.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 10, 2004
Paul…

I don’t know the Minolta but when I look at the card in my Canon I see two folders…

One called Misc and one called DCIM. Within the DCIM folder is another folder called, 100Canon. This is where the images are. In my folder the are labled…IMG_100.jpg The key is to find a file with the .jpg extension.

Do you see this extension or something else?

Colin
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 10, 2004
Paul, if you’re shooting in Minolta RAW mode (.mrw extension), Elements won’t recognize the picture.
PW
paul_watts
Jun 11, 2004
THANKS COLIN,I WILL TRY THIS AND LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON,THE FIRST FOLDER IS 100KM003,WHICH IS THE CAMERA,YOU CLICK ON THAT AND YOU GET DCIM WHERE THE PICS ARE,BUT IT STILL ASKS YOU FOR A FILE NAME ??? I WILL BE IN TOUCH,CHEERS PAUL.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 11, 2004
Paul,

Consider not using all caps letters (i.e. from THIS to This…) the next time you post. Using all capitals letters is consider yelling.

Ray
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 11, 2004
Maybe we’re talking across the pond…:-)

Colin
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 11, 2004
Use a phone, or smoke signals… (smoke, cigarette… I feel a craving coming in… !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
Ray, I quit for three days once and even a week another time. Perhaps even a week a time before that. My temptations got the best of me every time. I always get into trouble that way. I am weak. Oh well. Hang in there.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks Jodi, how comforting to know.. 😉

Seriously, I’m very motivated, and I’m not gonna give in into my cravings. Not just yet anyway. I really have a few things I’d like to buy first.

And there are other, medical, reasons not to smoke at this time, for me. Being shut wired, it makes double (or near impossible) complicated to cough. If I was to start coughing, like I used to in the morning and sometimes at night, I could possibly choke because I would be unable to open my mouth. So, I really need not to smoke.

Now, Apple just got this new gadget out (for both Mac and Win) : http://www.apple.com/ca/airportexpress/

I can imagine that… My entire CD collection (all genuine, no pirated stuff) running from my Mac to the sound system… That would too cool!

One more reason to save money !!!

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
Ray, I’m sorry….I was only pointing out that i was weak and I know you aren’t so you can do it 🙂

No pirated stuff ? Ah geeze, that’s a little boring isn’t it ? 🙂

ha ha ha…I’m terrible. Good luck with all of the goodies. Mine come while i sleep.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 11, 2004
Ray,

Stick with the none smoking … can’t say you will feel any beter but my goodness you will be richer 🙂 all those Apple goodies just waiting to be bought 🙂

Jodi …. best way to give up is:

Initially don’t give up smoking … just give up inhaling. After a couple of weeks or so … then is the time to stop 🙂 … worked for me … and its three years now.

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
Wendy, I’m rolling on the carpet….I’m sorry, too funny…"don’t inhale"…ya OK…..will try.

I’m just not sure. That is like telling me not to kiss Harrison Ford if he showed up on my doorstep. He’s still got it 😉

Anyways, I appreciate you sharing your method…<stll rolling>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
Wendy, I’m sorry….I don’t know why that struck me so funny. I’m a wack…sorry 😉
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 11, 2004
Jodi,

Its the thought of giving up that makes you roll around 🙂

Seriously thought stopping inhaling does work … you just have to keep reminding yourself not to inhale. Once you have stopped inhaling you really have stopped smoking …

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 11, 2004
hmmmm, that could work for alot of things in my life that i need to give up……"remind myself not to…."..yes indeed. Thanks
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 11, 2004
Jodi,

🙂

Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections