GG
Posted By
greg_grosz
Dec 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been printing 5×7 and 8×10 paper with an image size to correspond to the prefabricated double mats that I bought. I’ve been working on the images in LR and then do final touch-ups and resizing in PS.

On both the 5×7 and 8×10 prints the image that is printed is approximately 1/8" wider and taller than I set. For example I set the 8×10 to print a 9.75×6.75 image, but I get a print that is about 9 7/8 x 6 7/8 (9.875 x 6.875). My 5×7’s also are printing about 1/8" too wide and tall.

I never checked the precision of the printed image in the past, only until I’ve started printing for a specific mat-cut size, so don’t know if this is a new issue or a long-standing one. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
Greg

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 3, 2008
greg,

Printer? Page setup? Print setup specifics? Printing bleeds? Etc.

Neil
JF
john_findley
Dec 3, 2008
I’m probably stating the obvious and if I am, forgive me: is your Scaled Print Size set to 100%, and are the height and width boxes showing the correct size?
After reading your question, I did a test print and it was dead on.

CS3 with Epson R1800
GG
greg_grosz
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for responding…

Printer is Canon MP530, Mac OS 10.5.2, Mac Pro.
IN PS CS3 I have Scale Styles UNchecked, Constrain Proportions UNchecked.

Print Settings on first Print Dialog are:
Center Image Checked
Scale to Fit Media OFF

Under Paper Handling pull down menu, doesn’t make any difference if I Scale to Fit Paper On or OFF. I get the exact same, wrong, size either case.

If I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Greg
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
This may or may not apply to Canon printer drivers:

If you are printing with an Epson on borderless paper, such as 5×7 or 8×10, and you properly choose the borderless option, then the Epson driver does in fact enlarge the image by about 1/8" in order to ensure that the image bleeds off the page and does not leave you with a narrow white border.

If your printer driver has a "borderless" option, try unchecking it.
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
Incidentally, I’m not touching Leopard, but 10.5.2 was particularly bad news. You should update to 10.5.5 ASAP.
JF
john_findley
Dec 3, 2008
Not to beat a dead horse, but: okay, Scale to Fit Media box is unchecked; underneath are the Scale, Height, and Width boxes. They should contain the accurate dimensions and Scale at 100% all locked. This is, I believe, a function of the Document Size setting in PS.
GG
greg_grosz
Dec 3, 2008
The settings are as you describe.
GG
greg_grosz
Dec 3, 2008
I was trying to print borderless so changed that setting. Then I got dialog box saying that the print area is smaller than my image size, so some clipping will take place, so I printed on 8.5×11 to get around it.

The image size STILL is wrong. ARRGGG.

I’m downloading the Mac OS updates as I write.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.
GG
greg_grosz
Dec 3, 2008
With all of your input, we’ve got this figured out…

I think the basis of the problem was that I was getting extra 1/8" because I was setting to Borderless. The print still wasn’t right, such as the image was not centered, until I upgraded the OS to 10.5.5. – thanks Ramon.

So, now I know how to fudge the dimensions if I’m printing Borderless on 8×10 paper, and to switch to 8.5×11 paper if I require the image size to be exactly a certain dimension when printing with a border on 8×10 paper (if my image size exceeds the printing area).

Thanks again for your assistance.
B
Buko
Dec 3, 2008
I have always preferred to use InDesign for printing when it comes to exact placement of elements on the page.
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
You’re welcome, Greg. 🙂
R
Ram
Dec 3, 2008
Buko,

Does InDesign give you 16-bit printing in CS4 like Photoshop does?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections