GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Jun 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is for those using PS7 or CS and have a camera that can use Adobe RGB setting.

Now lets assume you are working ins Adobe RGB colour space. The reason to use Adobe RGB setting is because it has a larger colour space than sRGB. Sounds almost perfect but there is a hazard. When you import your image you will get an "Embedded Profile Mismatch" Photoshop see Adobe RGB as sRGB because there is no allowance in EXIF for Adobe RGB the file is incorrectly tagged as sRGB. This is not a camera mistake but a limitation in EXIF. If you click on the wrong selection you will have a colour shift.

Here is what to do. Select "Discard the Embedded Profile (don’t color manage) and click OK. Now go to > Image > Mode > Assign Profile. Then select Adobe RGB and you will be back in business.

Grant

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SS
Susan_S.
Jun 13, 2004
In PS7 or Elements you can install the ignore EXIF plugin/registry fix, downloadable from the Adobe site which means that PS or Elements will ignore the EXIF tag. For CS there is a preference setting which tells PS to ignore the EXIF colour profile. Then in Elements, open the Adobe RGB image with full colour mangement on (which uses Adobe RGB as the working space). Or in PS, as Grant says, assign the AdobeRGB profile.

Of course if you shoot RAW and convert in CS you can choose the colour space ex-poste, which is very useful for cameras like mine which are otherwise limited to something which is close to but not exactly sRGB.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 13, 2004
Grant, I wonder if this is camera-specific? I’ve never gotten the mismatch dialog with .JPE embedded AdobeRGB files from my A1, at least not when I was working in Adobe RGB space, in either CS or PE 2.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 13, 2004
Barbara – I believe it is camera specific – it depends on how the manufacturer has implemented the EXIF tagging whichonly has the option of sRGB or no tag. Obviously some manufacturers are smarter than others!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 13, 2004
Hi, Susan. Well, I guess it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other. I sure do wish that image orientation from the A1 were recognized by Adobe programs. I never have to rotate the files from my canon.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 13, 2004
Barbara, that’s interesting….I always have to rotate the photos from my Canons….?!

Chck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 13, 2004
Hi, Chuck–gee, that’s weird–pix from the s400 always come in right way up.

Another anomaly that I’m trying to figure out is that all my old flash cards still show up as Canon on the computer, even though I’ve pulled the files off and reformatted in the A1. New cards that have only been formatted in the A1 only show up as "Lexar" or whatever, and transfers from those are way slower than from the ones that have been used in the canon before. Same exact brand, size and write speed. Strange.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 13, 2004
Should have said on the pc, too, for the orientation. Maybe it’s because I just drag them to the desktop instead of using WIA or something?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 13, 2004
Susan

Thanks for the heads up on the patch but because I want to maintain the EXIF info for RGB and sRGB I will forgo installing it and once again do things manually.

The problem is EXIF not camera dependent what I suspect is happening is that some manufactures are not adding Adobe RGB to the EXIF and other are. I suspect the thinking of those that do add it is that the next, or next version of EXIF will be corrected and allow for this. This problem is not unique to Adobe products as other software manufactures also allow for Adobe RGB with similar potential disasters.

Barbara and Chuck

I know this may be a silly suggestion but Adobe only recognizes the camera photo rotation in their browser and will only take advantage of this when images are imported from the browser so have you check you camera’s photo files there.

Nikon dSLR Users

As far as Nikon is concerned and Adobe’s raw conversion there is a problem. If you sharpen in camera Adobe locks this sharpening so it is best not to use sharpening in raw with Adobe Raw converter. Not familiar with Canon so will leave that up to canon users as an exercise. 😉

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 14, 2004
Grant, thanks for that suggestion. I never use the Adobe browser, but for that convenience I might be persuaded. Will see if that does the trick!

Chuck
O
o3v3tz
Jun 14, 2004
Photos from our Canon G5 display right way up without any rotation in PSE 2 and PS Album 2 on Windows XP.

Looking at the lower left of the PSE 2 File Browser window after I have highlighted one of these portrait mode pictures, I see the following fields (plus others)

Model: Canon PowerShot G5
Orientation : Rotate 90

EXIF Version : 0220

I think that it is the presence of this Orientation setting which is recognized by PSE and PSA that cause the photo to display ok without any need for rotation.

Chuck – interesting to know what you see in these fields for a photo that you have not yet rotated.

I don’t know which cameras set this field. At one point I had the impression that it was only newer cameras, but I am not at all sure.

BarbO
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 14, 2004
Adobe only recognizes the camera photo rotation in their browser and will only take advantage of this when
images are imported from the browser

Don’t really follow this, Grant. My canon photos are always right side up whether I ever use the browser or not. My minolta photos always need manual rotating, whether I use the browser or not.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 14, 2004
Barbara

It may be that Canon does a rotations in the camera. Nikon and many other only add rotation data to the EXIF file. If you import them into Adobe with out using the browser it imports them as landscape. If you are using the browser the browser creates thumbnails and rotates the thumbnails depending on the information in the EXIF file. When they are imported using the browser the files are rotated even though the file is in fact still in landscape. When you save the rotated file then Adobe will commit it to the rotation it has been imported as.

By only tagging the EXIF and not rotating in the camera the transfer rate, in camera, is so much faster.

I know it is as "clear as mud but it cover the ground" Harry Bellefonte 1958

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 14, 2004
Grant: "Jamaica Farewell"…..ah……

Chuck
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 14, 2004
It may be that Canon does a rotations in the camera

Yes, it must do that somehow.

What you describe in the rest of your post is how it works with the files from the A1 and from the older digis I have used.

It’s a pretty cool feature in the s400, however they do it.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 14, 2004
If I remember correctly, Canon do not rotate the picture in the camera. Adobe recognizes my 10D pictures, be they’re portrait or landscape. They’re always displayed correctly, in either Elements or CS.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 14, 2004
Hi, Ray. Now that you mention it, OS X preview is the one app that never does see the pictures right way up, so it must be something in the file info.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 14, 2004
I have to completely eat crow on this one. Adobe will import my image in proper rotation regardless of how I access them. I should always double check. My mind is jelly I suspect I am being confused with my hateful Canon and the fact that PSP 8 won’t do this.

DOH! I am such a Homer

Grant
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 14, 2004
Wasn’t that a hateful Nikon? I’m beginning to suspect you hate all that’s digital now 😉

Ray
RM
Ron_Minler
Jun 14, 2004
I can set my Canon 10D to rotate the images in the camera as they are taken. Default is not to rotate in camera.
Ron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections