RC
Posted By
Ric_Cohn
Dec 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to get back the old Channel keyboard shortcuts. Has anyone else done this and had problems?

I followed the instructions "The Mac plug-in just needs to be dropped into your Photoshop plug-ins directory" to place the UseOldShortcuts.plugin loose into my Applications>Photoshop CS4>Plug-Ins folder, but after restarting Photoshop the Channel keyboard shortcuts haven’t changed.

I tried throwing out some of my User prefs: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp, Keyboard Shortcuts.psp, and PlugIn Cache.psp. I can’t think of anything else to try. Is there a particular Plug-Ins subfolder it should go into?

Also, does this UseOldShortcuts.plugin change any other shortcuts besides the Channels?

Ric Cohn

Dual G5, 6 GB ram, trial version of CS4.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
I don’t know if it changes any other shortcuts besides the Channels because I decided that it really was going to be much easier to learn the new shortcuts in CS4 from the get-go — and it is almost certain that the OldShortcuts plugin will get dropped from the next version anyway.

Within a couple of days you will find that you use Cmd 2 for the Composite channel (and et seq for the others) without a second thought.

Also, you might want to investigate the "Cmd Option #" trick for raising a luminosity selection from any Channel of your choice.
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 11, 2008
Hi Ann,

"I decided that it really was going to be much easier to learn the new shortcuts in CS4 from the get-go"

You may be right. However, as a lefty the Cmd Option 1 100% view doesn’t add anything, plus conceptually it’s really easier to keep track of all the channels when the 1st channel is #1. Also, it’s a real stretch to Command #5 and up for Alpha Channels. Finally, I frequently work off-site on other people’s computers and it’s likely some of these will only have CS3 for some time. Switching between shortcuts for different versions right now is likely to be harder than switching over in CS5 (when most legacy programs I work with will be CS4) if they do drop the OldShortcuts plugin.

Even without the new Channel shortcuts there’s still a huge amount to learn and get used to UI wise with CS4.

In any case, I’d still like to know why the plug-in isn’t working for me.

Ric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
Have you tried re-booting the Mac since you installed the plug-in?
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 11, 2008
Ann, Good suggestion, but I just rebooted and it didn’t fix it. After that I also tried running Crone scripts and deleting Caches.

I looked at the comments on John Nacks blog < http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/shortcut_changes_in_cs4 .html> and it looks like the plug-in isn’t working on Power PCs. Anyone successfully install this on a Power PC (I.e. not an Intel Mac).
JI
Jeffrey_Ignarro
Dec 12, 2008
It’s working fine on my MP running 10.4.11 and I just installed it on my G5 running 10.5.5 and it works properly as well. What version of OSX are you using?
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 12, 2008
Jeffrey, Thanks. What’s an "MP"? I’m running 10.4.11.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 12, 2008
Macbook Pro.
P
PShock
Dec 12, 2008
Or … Mac Pro.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 12, 2008
That too. <g>

Neil
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 12, 2008
Thanks Neil,

MP, MBP either is good.

So it appears the plug-in is working OK on Jeffrey’s Power PC running 10.5 and his Intel MP running 10.4. Maybe my problem is my Power PC running 10.4.11?

Anyone using this plug-in OK with my combo?

Ric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 12, 2008
Ric:

I have just tried the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" for you and a quick look shows that it IS working on OSX 10.4.11 on a G5.

It should be installed in Applications/Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/…

(at the top level — not in any of the sub-folders.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 13, 2008
It just has to be somewhere inside plug-ins, the exact location doesn’t matter – the folders are for your convenience only.
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 13, 2008
Anne wrote: "I have just tried the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" for you and a quick look shows that it IS working on OSX 10.4.11 on a G5."

It’s the "UseOldShortcuts.plugin" I’m trying to use. Did you really mean the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin"? Please let me know. BTW, I’m not sure what the AllowOldGPUS.plugin does, I think it’s video card related?

Chris, it’s good to know that the sub-folder’s are just for organization (I have to admit I never knew that). However, I still don’t know why the plug-in’s not working on my system.

Ric
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2008
However, it’s the "UseOldShortcuts.plugin" I’m trying to use.

Sorry, I copied/pasted carelessly!

I meant to write that I had installed, and successfully used, the "UseOldShortcuts.plugin" on OSX 10.4.11.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2008
Which video card do you have, René?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2008
The card shouldn’t matter for the "UseOldShortcuts.plugin" to work.

I wonder if personally saved workspaces and shortcuts could cause a conflict?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2008
Did you Repair Permissions after doing the installation — and have you re-booted the computer?

Have you also run Cocktail to clean-out your caches?
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 14, 2008
Ann wrote: "I wonder if personally saved workspaces and shortcuts could cause a conflict?"

Seemed an excellent suggestion, but still no go. I reset to Default workspace and Keyboard Shortcuts and restarted. After that didn’t work I shut down PS, repaired Permissions and threw out all my prefs and restarted. I don’t see any indication that there is anything wrong with the install. I am using it in Trial mode.

I’m flummoxed. Obviously I’m not alone in the problem, but if it works for Ann with her PowerPC G5 and OS10.4.11, then there must be something else causing this. I believe mine is also an early G5. Dual 2.0 GHz, 6 Gb Ram. I doubt it would matter, but my Video Card is an ATI Radeon X800 XT. Only 256 mb of VRam, so doesn’t work with all the CS4 bells and whistles.

Ric
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 16, 2008
I don’t think there’s anything users can do to fix this. I’ve been reading of more people reporting problems. There are even reports of it working on one computer and not on another of the same user’s computer of the same type and OS version. I hope someone from Adobe is working to figure out what the problem is and working on a fix. I, for one, won’t purchase the Upgrade until this Plug-In works on my system.

For me the worst change may be Cmd-~ for scrolling through open windows. Too many years of hitting this key combo out of habit to make sure I’m set to the composite image. In the past it was a harmless habit since it never did anything unless I wasn’t set the way I want, now it seems like a "gotcha" waiting to get me.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 16, 2008
Control Tab cycles through open files for you.

Seriously, if you make yourself use the new shortcuts for 24 hours and you won’t even remember the old ones any more!

The problem with using the Tilde key for shortcuts meant that they were unusable on non-English keyboards.
L
LarryGR
Dec 16, 2008
Ric – You can set scrolling through open windows to just about anything in System Pref, Keyboard and Mouse. I’ve been using F13 for that for many years through many upgrades and it works the same in all of my programs.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 16, 2008
Just check that you do have "English" set in Preferences/Interface.

(It may or may not help, but someone has just reported a malfunction in Bridge which was cured by selecting "English" in its prefs..)
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2008
Another reason for me to be glad that I tend to avoid using more than a handful of shortcuts, copy, cut, paste, save, quit… I don’t even use the shortcut for Save As. 😀
RC
Ric_Cohn
Dec 20, 2008
I’m happy to report that the UseOldShortcuts.plugin has been fixed. <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/Use_Old_Shortcuts.zip>
CC
Craig Curtis
Feb 6, 2009
REALLY wish adobe would stop messing with shortcut changes, or at least keep a consistent option for those of us who have been using the same commands for many versions. Why change them now? What does it serve? I can maybe see changing some when there is a new tool introduced, but why on earth would they change the command keys for changing channels? If Adobe is supposedly working on a consistent interface, they are kind of failing at it by doing this!
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Feb 6, 2009
"Adobe is supposedly working on a consistent interface" – yes if they mistakenly think they NEED to do that, then they would be well advised to choose the BEST, most popular, and best thought out of the three apps and make everything else consistent with that.

Moving the channel shortcuts 2 places to the right has made the stretch uncomfortable, as well as taking shortcuts AWAY from Selective Color – if they were going to change things sensibly, command 1 should have been composite channel and 2,3,4,5 for other channels.

Option Command Zero has always been 100% and frankly anyone who can’t learn something so simple should go back to Quark and Freehand. There’s another option to double click the hand tool for 100% anyway. Crumbs!
CC
Craig Curtis
Feb 6, 2009
i’ve been using photoshop for a long time (first version was 2.5 I think). I think its been command ~, 1/2/3 for RGB as long as I can remember. Illustrator is at least as old as photoshop is, but I haven’t been using it as long, so I can’t tell you how far back it has used command 1 instead of command 0. But InDesign is only a few years old, so I’m not so sure why they decided to change something that has been consistent in photoshop for what, 20 years…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections