Posted By
david_pullum
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

I need to buy a graphics tablet and was looking at the Wacom Range.

All I really want to do is convert some pictures to black and white and then put the coluor back in using a tablet

Can anyone suggest the best tablet to buy for this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 23, 2004
Dave….

I have the Graphire 3 from Wacom. I can’t say it’s the best as I have not used any other but it works well for me and I’ve done what you describe with it.

Only comment I have and it may be generic to all Pens, is that it’s tricky to operate the buttons on the pen without jogging the tip away from where you are, e.g putting an anchor point down on a selection.

Colin
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 23, 2004
I’ve been wanting to buy a Wacom tablet. The reviews of the Graphire3 don’t sound very positive. Some reviewers are saying that Graphire2 is/was better, but they are getting hard to find. Anyone have experience with either? Considering that I would use it mostly just for Elements and CorelDraw, would a 4" x 5" be sufficient?

I can’t afford the Intuos (still saving for that photo printer).

Patti
KW
Ken_Wolin
Jun 23, 2004
I bought the Wacom 3 about eight months ago and I love it. Mine is the 6X8 version, but I doubt there’d be a problem using the smaller one. Once you get used to using it, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it.

I figured I’d give myself a week to get used to it, but after a day or so, I realized I couldn’t go back to the mouse.

A nice touch is that it also comes with a wireless mouse that you use on the tablet itself.

Good luck,

Kenny
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jun 23, 2004
david_pullum wrote:
All I really want to do is convert some pictures to black and white and then put the coluor back in using a tablet

I found a discussion about the differences between Graphire 2 and 3:

http://www.gfxartist.com/community/forum/43698

Either of these will work well I’m sure. I use the Graphire 2, and the complaint I have is about the mouse, which doesn’t fit the hand as well as you’d like. But it is useable, and you can use your corded mouse.

Ed
JJ
JoAn_J_Yost
Jun 23, 2004
I just have a small tablet but Ilove it. I just got a new CD from the company that is by scott Kelby and it is great. Called the digital navigator by wacom. <http://www.wacom.com/tips/index.cfm?category=Photoshop> Here is a tip site by wacom you might look at that might help a bit. I have no problem with the buttons, but the double click was rather hard for me to do to start with.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 23, 2004
Patti,

What I do is that I use my regular mouse alone when I work on non-graphics projects, and get the tablet with its pen & mouse when retouching photos and other projects alike.

The number 1 complain I heard about the Graphire3 against the the Graphire2 was that the surface of the tablet was more slippery. And I did find the surface of the Graphire2 too slippery, so make sure you can at least try the Graphire3 at a store before you go and buy one.

Ray
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 23, 2004
What I do is that I use my regular mouse alone when I work on non-graphicsprojects, and get the tablet with its pen & mouse when retouching photos and other projects alike.

Thanks Ray. That’s what I plan to do. I love my optical mouse. Anyway, most of the complaints on 3 were about the mouse.

I’ve already ordered my Graphire3. 🙂

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 23, 2004
Cool! You won’t regret it, I’m sure! I know I would not work without my Wacom anymore. It’s sooo much more handy working this way!

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 23, 2004
I need to move mine from the old Mac to the new Mac, I know that I must get used to it. Just do what you say, and have the optical mouse and the Wacom beside eachother ready to use.
Jane
OT
One Tequila
Jun 24, 2004
I have the smallest least expensive tablet by wacom.
It is absotively, positutely much better than a mouse for editing images. All the extra capability is useful at all skill levels of editing.

But when I want to use a mouse I set the tablet aside and use my logitech optical mouse. I never could get used to the wacom mouse on the tablet even though I tried for several months. It just doesn’t track right. Maybe the tablet
is too small. But this does not detract from the pen’s attributes. -1
wrote in message
Hello

All I really want to do is convert some pictures to black and white and
then put the coluor back in using a tablet

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections