RK
Posted By
Rich_Kelly
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I recently purchased "Photoshop Elements 2.0 plus Photoshop Album 2.0". I was told this has the versatility of "Printshop". The problem here is that I have not really used either so, I am a beginner so to speak for any program of this sort.
My first project I am trying to attack is to make the "NO" symbol, which is the red circle with the diagonal line thru it. Then I want to place different words and phrases over or under the symbol… kinda like a "NO PARKING" sign.
Any suggestions to help me get going here will be appreciated. Such as can I do this with this program or, do I need to find something else ??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 26, 2004
There is a "no" symbol in the custom shapes libraries, to get you started.

M
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 26, 2004
There is a great! no pooping sign for dogs and their owners in a close-by neighborhood, I wondered how they did it, as it is posted on a lot of trees over there.
I will bet dollars to doughnuts that they did it with PSE. Jane
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 26, 2004
Here’s one I actually use:

http://doogle.com/misc/NoBibleThumpers.jpg

M
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 26, 2004
Jane, is this the sign of which you speak??

http://www.doggiedoofreezone.com/

🙂

Chuck
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Jun 26, 2004
There is NO sign in the Custom Shapes default set. 🙂
JD
Juergen_D
Jun 26, 2004
a great! no pooping sign for dogs and their owners

Now, there you have a true challenge… 🙂
Juergen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 26, 2004
Ingrid….you caught me. I went searching for it, and, sure enough, I found there is a "NO" Sign in the default set – just like you said….almost!

🙂
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 26, 2004
Mac,

Does your No Bible Thumpers work? I’ve tried every verbal approach I can think of to no avail. One thing they left out of the Bill of rights:

Freedom from harassment.

Bob
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 26, 2004
Hi Chuck, That is a good one, but this one was more homemade looking, it was a black lab who lives in the area. They took a picture of him, made the picture outline and put the red ‘no’ sign over top of his picture. They didn’t waterproof the paper, so they didn’t last.

Hi Mac, May I copy your Bible Thumper thing?
I do have a fairly good way to thwart them though, when I see them coming down our street, I tear off my clothes, get into my "holy" bathrobe, grab my towel, and turn the shower on. That usually works, even tho they leave their papers.
My brother has some better ways, but they are too funny to put here. Jane
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 26, 2004
The Mormons get it.
The local Baptist thumpers often don’t.
Until I silently point at it.

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 26, 2004
Hi Mac, May I copy your Bible Thumper thing?

Sure…
Anybody who wants it, there’s a higher rez printable TIFF version also.

ftp://doogle.com/pub

M
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 26, 2004
I always find that asking Bible-thumpers if they like to share in a sacrificial goat gets them to move along. 😉
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 26, 2004
Thanks, Mac, I got it and will print out a couple for my brother and friends too. Jane
RK
Rich_Kelly
Jul 8, 2004
Sunnyway, I found the "NO" sign in the custom shapes but, have no clue how to get it from there onto the drawing board !!! Like I said, I am new to this program and can’t make it do what I want.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 8, 2004
Rich, just select that shape, and ‘draw’ it on the canvas by holding the mouse button down and dragging it to size on your canvas. The color will be whatever the current foreground color is in the Color Picker (interlocking squares at lower left of toolbox). To ensure the shape remains a circle, press down the shift key after beginning to drag the mouse, then let up on the mouse button before letting up on the shift key. The resultant NO will appear on its own layer.
S
slp20082008
Jul 10, 2004
Move the scroll bar down in the library…and there it is!
RK
Rich_Kelly
Jul 15, 2004
Chuck, I tried as you suggested, I selected the "NO" sign in "Custom Shapes", held down the left mouse button to draw,nothing happens…. I also tried the right mouse button…same …nothing happens. What am I missing here ??? Maybe if someone can give me step by step how to get there. I cannot get anything to draw…

Rich Kelly
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 15, 2004
Rich,

I hate to ask this…but you are dragging while pressing the left mouse key…right? When you do finally figure how to drag the shape, be sure to also hold in the shift key (as you drag with the left mouse button depressed) to insure your shape isn’t distorted. I hope I haven’t muddied the waters further.

Terri
RK
Rich_Kelly
Jul 26, 2004
Terri and everyone else… yes, while holding the left button down. I press down the left button, the box opens with all custom shapes. I then select the "NO" symbol and hold the mouse button down to drag and nothing appears. I have also tried selecting the different brushes, etc. on the left and can’t get anything to work.
Possibly, someone can give me some simple instructions on how to see if this program is actually working ??? Or perhaps, I need to open the book that came with it to see how to use it ??? Haven’t really done that.
To all who have replied, I appreciate your patience in me getting back to you, we are taking this month (July) to move into a bigger place and all has been pretty hectic around here.

Sincerely,
Rich Kelly
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 26, 2004
Perhaps you are trying to put white on white, or somesuch? Just to make sure layers aren’t causing prob, just do this:

Make a new image, RGB. White background.
Make sure something is in foreground color box on left, a color, or black, anything but white.

Click on Custom Shape tool, select the NO from symbol library. Click and drag in your new document space. Let go of mouse. Doesn’t that create the NO symbol, filled with foreground color?

Mac
RK
Rich_Kelly
Jul 29, 2004
Back again, figured it out, was trying to draw on the gray background that comes up when the program opens. Now I have to get it to 8.5 x11 and figure out the layering thing to list the no-no’s

Thanx again to all
Rich
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 29, 2004
Rich,

I believe it will be whatever color is displayed as the foreground color in the two paintchip dealies at the bottom of the Tool Box. Of course, after drawn in whatever color, you could also just select it and change the color.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections