RF
Posted By
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In an email response from tech support on another subject they included the following which appears to be a "broadcast" in all responses.

* *Memory Card Tip: It is recommended to format your card in the camera after every download. This minimizes the possibility of card corruption.**

Olympus plays some games with their brand cards to support their auto stitching Panorama mode in their Camedia Master software and warn that formatting the card in other than the camera will destroy this capability.

I’ve never formatted any of my cards. Simply erase in the camera.

Any opinions?

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 1, 2004
I’ve heard this too, Robert. My C-4000Z use Smart Media and I usually format the card (as opposed to deleting) after I move the pictures to my laptop — at least every other time. I haven’t had a card go bad on me…yet.

Patti
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 1, 2004
Patti,

Thank you. Guess I’ll take their advise. Now if I could just get Camedia Master to start displaying psd files again. Lost it on the upgrade to 4.3. I think it had something to do with Quicktime 5.0 but so far no luck. It’s my print software of choice and now I have to save a tif, too, to use it.

Bob
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jul 2, 2004
Robert_F_Carruth wrote:
Thank you. Guess I’ll take their advise. Now if I could just get Camedia Master to start displaying psd files again. Lost it on the upgrade to 4.3. I think it had something to do with Quicktime 5.0 but so far no luck. It’s my print software of choice and now I have to save a tif, too, to use it.

Can’t help you with the Camedia problem. I’m using Fuji Finepix to download the files from camera. Got in the habit of using it, and I like the file renaming function. I’m using Picasa to manage my folders, send email and create thumbnails.

As for memory cards, I have 4: 2 Fuji, 2 Olympus. I have not formatted any of these cards while taking about 5K shots, and have never seen a problem.

OTOH, I don’t think formatting will cause a problem, but I wonder how it will affect the useful life of the card, and if there is an inherent problem that causes the vendor to recommend this.

Ed
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 2, 2004
Bob,
Re your post #2, I take it that you transfer files directly from your camera to Camedia Master, rather than via a card reader.
What makes Camedia your print software of choice? I have the software but have never installed it because I have been printing directly from Elements.
Ken
JR
John_R._Collins
Jul 2, 2004
Ken,

I only use Camaedia with my Olympus 2000UZ to do either a slide show or to print a page of thumbnails for my pix. It allows me to include the file name/number and the date with each picture.

John
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 2, 2004
Ed,

I wonder about the "wear" factor, too. Eventually I’m going to have to call tech support to get my psd’s back and I’ll ask them that question.

Ken,

I either transfer from a card reader to the laptop or from the camera to the desktop with an external power supply. I like Camedia’s browser which let’s me organize and discard quickly and easily. There’s an album feature that I’ve never used. Before Elements I used it’s rudimentary editing capability

As to printing it allows me to quickly organize full page or 2, 4, 6, 8 or 9 per page (8.5×11) and 4 different precut layouts and has no problem centering using my HP970. Elements requires a lot of adjustment since it doesn’t communicate well with HP printers.

The Pro Version (US$19.95) has a very nice backup facility that keeps track of what has been backed up and allows interim backups of new and changed. It manages output in folders that fit a predetermined cd size.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections