Posted By
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I’m not sure if this is appropriate for the Adobe forums, but I was looking for some simple design help. I found the following flower/pansy photo online (I pasted the link below)and was wondering how I could replicate it on my own photos using CS2. Any help would be much appreciated, as I’m trying to design a mailer for my boss. Thanks!

< http://www.southern-exposures.net/gallery1/images/pansies.jp g>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JL
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, I’ve been playing with some images and feel like I have the basic idea down. I’m stuck on two points. The first is, in order to create the choppy frame around the pansy, I used the eraser. I’ve been experimenting with different brushes, but not having any luck. The second is the yellow edging. I tried inner shadow and inner glow without much luck. I just tried using inner stroke and it seems to be the most similar. Any other ideas for these two issues? Thanks!
DR
Donald_Reese
Apr 5, 2007
This may not be the way it was done, but i took one of my photos to start, and added blank canvas around the edges. next i duped the layer and did a filter effect- brushed strokes- sprayed strokes to give the edge a painted look. i simply applied a layer mask to hide the effect and then brushed along the edge to give the brush strokes. next i created the new window with the yellow background and dragged the flower photo into that document. then i made a drop shadow on that layer. the red was done using the stroke effect on the layer. this was done real quick, so its only one idea. its hard to see the edge effect with the stroke added,but i was trying to simulate your link as best i could.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1cdjelPJb2JqVwAfvp SCMj1M0qwU91>
JL
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks, Donald. That was very helpful. I had forgotten about the filter effects. I’m going to try those and see where I get. Thanks again 🙂
P
Phosphor
Apr 5, 2007
Jennifer…

This is one of those situations where you might find it worthwhile to spend the time experimenting. There are two good reasons that I can think of right off the bat for doing this:

One…by experimenting on your own, you’ll start getting a better handle on what controls make things happen, and how they work.

Two…You might not want to replicate the look exactly. Maybe you’ll come up with something you like even better.

That said, you can experiment to your heart’s content by doing all your fiddling on a Layer Mask. Experiment with the the Artistic Filters, Brush Filters, Distortion, etc.

You’ll be able to apply Inner Glow, Drop Shadow, etc, on the Layer Mask, and change it as often as you want with no loss of image quality.

Here’s one I did in about 2 minutes, just by playing around (Photo from the stock art that installs with Photoshop):

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1jpgg9f4pZtP61BvsE 0KSq7JMg1m>
JL
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks, Phos. I had started playing around and gotten as far as figuring out the edging. I’m not that familiar with masking, so I’m going to read up on that and continue experimenting. Thanks for your encouragement. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Apr 5, 2007
"I’m not that familiar with masking, so I’m going to read up on that…"

Have a look at the following thread, follow some of the links, and add the thread to your Bookmarks for future study:

Phos…., "Advanced masking and isolation" #1, 27 Jan 2005 9:06 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
JL
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks, that will help me in my quest, was just going to ask for help with masks.
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 5, 2007
I’m not sure if this is appropriate for the Adobe forums …

There is a design forum at <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef602c3> but it is for general design questions, and ones asking for program specific methods are best handled here, or the relevant forum.

I just mention this for future information.
JL
Jennifer_L._Perry
Apr 6, 2007
Ohh, thanks, Don. I will def. direct any future design questions there. I didn’t even know that existed. Thanks!
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 6, 2007
I didn’t even know that existed

That’s why I mentioned it. However, this particular question would have probably been directed back here, as it is program specific. Had you wanted opinions on whether that type of design concept was appropriate to your uses, then the design forums would have been the place for the discussion.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections