CM
Posted By
Colin_McKinney
Jul 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
According to the Help section, after creating a Photo Gallery, I should be able to "… customize the Web pages in any Web page authoring program…"

I’ve created my first gallery, no problem, and published it, also no problem. But when I try to modify a page of thumbnails by adding some text at the bottom, everything seems to be OK until I save the changes, whereupon all the thumbnails disappear. The only way I can get things back to how they were is by downloading the old page from my website. How do I get to save my changes AND the photos?

I’m using Netscape Composer as my authoring program. (Hey, I’m a newbie at this :-))

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
Jane Carter
Jul 12, 2004
Hi Colin, This is interesting, as I used to use Netscape Composer too! Got good results, too. I am taking a GoLive class now because I am stuck with my sites, and it is supposed to be great software. Oh yes, I am indeed a real newbie at this web site stuff.
I didn’t think that you could use a web album thing with NS Composer, but you have done it! I was not able to change, add to, or otherwise do anything to my site without "overwriting" it according to my ISP, thus ruining it.
If you can do more with yours, let us know, as I gave up with mine. I will be watching here, as this is my problem too,
Thanks,
Jane
CM
Colin_McKinney
Jul 12, 2004
Hi Jane

I did it by composing three galleries in Elements as per instructions there, and saving each gallery in a separate folder.

Then (from my homepage in Composer) I made three links to the index file of each of the ‘new’ folders.

I uploaded everything to my web server, keeping the folders separate. No problem – except for the one outlined yesterday.

Interesting that you had the same problem too – maybe it’s a Composer thing and I’ll have to switch to something else. But I’ll watch this space for a while yet 🙂
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 12, 2004
everything seems to be OK until I save the changes, whereupon all the
thumbnails disappear

Colin,
Please give us some more details. What gallery style are you using? Where exactly are you trying to place the text? Right underneath the thumbnails? Does the text show up where you wanted it, but no thumbnails? Do the thumbnails scroll up and out of sight? Or are they completely gone, but the page with the text is there? Are the thumbnail files still in their directory? Please excuse all the questions, but maybe we’ll find some clue and hopefully some answer for you.

Juergen
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 12, 2004
I’m taking a class in GoLive, and hopefully will be able to take my old sites and upgrade them later.
I assume that I can import the old stuff into GoLive and then make changes and add things. Lets see what I can do in 6 weeks, GoLive is certainly an amazing program, but I am right at the bottom of its ‘learning mountain’.
Jane
CM
Colin_McKinney
Jul 13, 2004
Juergen D: thanks for your response. I’ve tried to answer all your questions here: I created the gallery using the Simple style. This is what happens when I try to modify the page by adding some text:
I open Netscape Composer, and navigate to and open the index.htm file of the new gallery page. I set the cursor below the thumbnails, and press Enter a few times to create more space, then I enter some text. Everything shows exactly as I want it to appear.
As soon as I try to save the new page with the changes I’ve just made, all the pictures disappear the moment I select ‘Save’. Placeholder rectangles for each image remain, containing a stylised question mark symbol on the left and the photograph’s title next to it on the right – but no image. The text remains where I put it – but of course I don’t want to save the new version with text and no thumbnails.
When I look at the directories, the thumbnails files are still there. However, new files have been created outside the ‘thumbnails’ directory, and appear in the parent directory, i.e. the one containing the index.htm file. These new files are based on the thumbnail files, and look like this: “1.1%20Bangkok%20transport.jpg”, where the original filename is “1.1 Bangkok transport.jpg”. There is one duplicate file for every original thumbnail file.
Deleting these new duplicate files makes the folders look the way they were before the changes were made, except the index file still looks in its new, saved condition: new text, but no images.
I hope this is of some help, and look forward to your response.
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Jul 13, 2004
Just a guess, but try renaming your picture files and removing all the spaces (or substitute a dash or underline). Then run Elements Web Gallery again and edit as before.
Bob Warren
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 13, 2004
I think Bob’s hit on the problem here. You have embedded spaces in the filenames for the images and that seems to be causing a problem. I would definitely take Bob’s advice and try renaming the files without the spaces and regenerating the gallery.

An alternative, if you can figure out how to deal with html, is to hand edit the html code for the gallery page(s) to add the text you want. The good news is that this will definitely work (and Netscape has the html source as an option, which you can modify and see how it renders). Your best bet for taking this route is to copy the directory where the gallery is and work on the copy; this means you always have the original to go back to, but you can experiment all you want.

Mark
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 13, 2004
Colin,
I tried to duplicate what you were doing. Well, I had not started up Netscape in a couple of years. My version is 4.6, so it may not be reacting exactly the same way as yours. Upon saving my thumbnails are greatly reduced in size, becoming very, very tiny. But then, after closing Composer and reopening ‘index.htm’ in either Navigator or Explorer, everything looks normal, thumbnails and the added text are in place. Did you go that far? Now, after having said all this, and as suggested by Mark, it is really easy to manually insert some text into ‘index.htm’. Open it with Notepad and scroll down to the bottom of the page. The last lines should look like this: (all parentheses "()" are actually brackets "<>") (/TABLE)(/CENTER)
(/BODY)
(/HTML)

Insert above ‘(/BODY)’ a line containing something like this:

(br)(br)(center)here goes your text(/center)

If you need a second line, you just insert again:

(br)(center)here goes more text(/center)

Replace all parentheses with brackets, save the file and you should be in business.

Juergen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 13, 2004
Colin

You are doing something that Netscape Composer is not intended to do. What is happening it is regenerating your images and recreating new thumbnails and altering directs.

What you want can be done if you are familiar with HTML. If you are Comfortable with HTML why don’t you just use the tools in provided in Elements for this task.

1) For each of you images open "File Info" and add a caption. That is the third box down in "General".
2)Now save your file and this saves the caption.
3)Do the "Create Web Photo Gallery" as normal with the following exceptions.
4)Go to the "Options" fly out and select "Thumb Nails" and click on
"Caption" if you want a caption under your "Thumb Nails".
5)Now select "Large Images" and click on "Caption" if you want a caption
under your large images.
6)Generate your site and Elements will use the captions you created in step
1) to give you what you want.

Grant
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 13, 2004
Grant,
I think Colin might be looking for something like this:
http://www.concentric.net/~jdirrigl/AddedText.jpg
This would be in addition to the captions. The best way to accomplish this is, as you mentioned, using HTML code.

Juergen
CM
Colin_McKinney
Jul 14, 2004
Thank you very much for all your helpful replies. At present I’m in the middle of a busy week and I won’t be able to experiment until the weekend. I’ll let you know how I get on after that 🙂
CM
Colin_McKinney
Jul 15, 2004
Well, impatience won out over work!

SUCCESS :-):-):-)

Thanks to everyone who offered help, especially Bob Warren and Mark Levesque: you guys were right. All I had to do was to remove the spaces in the filenames and everything worked perfectly – even with little ol’ Netscape Composer (I haven’t quite made the leap to HTML yet, but it could happen…)

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions.
JS
Joseph_Sorrentino
Aug 12, 2004
I’m having the same problem – when I edit a template – i’vetried them all – I get a small window for the image or no thumbnail or both the link /text I need do get there bu5t I ruin the rest of the gallery. I’ve tried in different places in different template – all bad results

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 12, 2004
First, Joseph, take a careful, close look at the file names of your images and make sure you haven’t included any spaces, slashes, hyphens, question marks, or any other unusual characters. If you rule this out, one of the guys will then help you more. Personally, I try to avoid using anything besides underscores in file names, just to keep it clean.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections