RX
Posted By
robert_x_white
Jul 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Starting to give up and go back to Zoombrowser…

Elements keeps hanging. It’s running on a Win98 II. As soon as you hit virtually anything – most common use is quickfix – it just hangs – not responding.

Have tried switching Norton a/virus off, but not effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 11, 2004
Sure it is actually hanging?

Any possibility that most of the options palettes you’re calling for are off screen, waiting?

Been using two monitors recently, down to one now?
Or maybe changed your screen rez from higher to lower since loading it?

M
BD
Bob_D_White
Jul 12, 2004
That’s got me thinking. But no. I mean I’m talking simple , crude elements use. I just pull up a picture and do quick fix. But it sticks and when I go Control-alt-delete it says it’s not responding.

And I’m sure we haven’t touched the screen rez.

I’ve got this feeling it’s conflicting with something.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 12, 2004
I just pull up a picture and do quick fix.

Do you SEE the quick fix dialogue window?

If not, does hitting ENTER key free Elements back up?

Have you deleted prefs?:

— Restart Photoshop Elements and immediately press Ctrl+Shift+Alt (Windows) or
Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) until you receive the message "Delete the Photoshop Elements Settings File?" Click Yes.

Mac
O
o3v3tz
Jul 13, 2004
How much memory do you have on your machine?

BarbO
RX
robert_x_white
Jul 13, 2004
Mac: Am alt tabbing between this and Elements now.

1. I see the quickfix icon. I click it and the whole program immediately freezes. (The rest of the PC works – I can alt tab to other applications) When I cont-alt-delete it says not responding. So I end up closing the program.

2. Thanks for the tip about deleting preferences. Did that but it made no difference.

3. Barb-O:
64meg RAM
30 gig hard drive
550 Mhertz processor speed

Elements used to work fine when I first got it 6 months ago. Now unusable.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 13, 2004
That 64MB of RAM is below specs for running Elements, so that may well be at least some of the problem. I seem to recall that 128MB is required, although most of us far more than that. You also don’t say how much free hard drive space you have, and a full or badly fragmented drive in combination with low RAM might be your problem. Try doing system maintenance and see if there’s an improvement.
BD
Bob_D_White
Jul 15, 2004
Sorry have checked – it is 128 MB
AV
April_Van_Noord
Jul 26, 2004
I’m having the same problems. I posted my conflicts, but haven’t received a solution yet. Please let me know if you figure something out. Below is the message I posted:
Topic
Problems with Elements 2.0 Freezing & giving illegal opperation errors

April Van Noord – 12:03pm Jul 22, 2004 PDT

PS Elements 2.0 is currently on three machines in our office. Two Win98SE boxes and one WinXP Pro. All three are dealing with PS Elements locking up the program and often the entire computer, especially when using the tools. Also, they sometimes receive illegal operation errors. I troubleshooted the XP box with the troubleshooting techdocument on this website, re-installed the program, but still the same problem. I doubt it’s a hardware issue because the three PC’s are all different. Two of them are Gateways, and the third(WinXP) is custom built. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections