S
Posted By
STEVE2MASON
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been enthralled and educated by the contributors to this forum for some time but had not realised until very recently that it was open to Limeys like me. But then I spotted a couple of UK addresses and thought: I should get to know Chuck, etc, as well. Anyway, to my problem: Pictures taken with my Konica digital camera at 2048×1536 (pixels,
I presume) have been turning out huge once I load them into Elements – 72cm x 55cm at 72 resolution, which is outlandishly large. Apart from taking up a huge amount of computer space, they are also almost impossible to work with at that size. Anyone know why they growing
like Topsy?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 14, 2004
Doesn’t matter if they are saved at 72ppi or 7200ppi.
They are same image size, that is, 2048×1536 pixels.

PPI merely contrains those pixels to smaller or larger output size.

And yes, 2048 x 1536 @ 72ppi is about 72cm x 55cm.
Same pixel dimensions at 300ppi = 17.3 x 13cm

And as for file size, your image is about 9MB in uncompressed format, like TIFF. If you are having problems working with a 9MB image, your computer is really underpowered, or you have some sort of resource problem.

Mac
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 14, 2004
Hi, Steve… welcome.

The pixel dimensions you give are normal for a 3 Mp camera.

The resolution that you’re seeing, 72, is an arbitrary setting which is most important when you print — but it has no bearing on how the image displays on your monitor.

If you go into the Image Size dialog and change the Resolution setting without resampling the image, you will see that the pixel dimensions do not change, but that the print dimensions changed. This is because you are actuall telling Elements how many of the existing pixels should be laid down per cm on a piece of paper. No pixels are being added or removed, simply re-allocated.

Most people report that they enjoy their prints with resolutions of ~200 ppi and upward. You’ll probably want to try a few test prints at various resolutions to see how you like your printer’s output at each.

For a thorough explanation of all things related to resolution, read through http://www.scantips.com/

I hope that’s enough to get you going… post back with other questions.

Byron
wrote in message
I have been enthralled and educated by the contributors to this forum for
some time but had not realised until very recently that it was open to Limeys like me. But then I spotted a couple of UK addresses and thought: I should get to know Chuck, etc, as well. Anyway, to my problem: Pictures taken with my Konica digital camera at 2048×1536 (pixels,
I presume) have been turning out huge once I load them into Elements –
72cm x 55cm at 72 resolution, which is outlandishly large. Apart from taking up a huge amount of computer space, they are also almost impossible to work with at that size. Anyone know why they growing
like Topsy?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 15, 2004
Steve,

Well they beat me to it … but welcome to the forum.

Wendy … another one of the UK lot 🙂
S
STEVE2MASON
Jul 15, 2004
Thanks for the very fast replies, guys and girls. Yes, I always change the resolution to 300 for printing, but Byron’s suggestion of not resampling when I do it seems to be the answer. Mac: it’s not really a question of the computer not being able to cope – it’s perfectly able to -, more the size of the image on the screen and the amount of space it takes up when moving pictures between desktop and laptop, as I do a lot. Anyway, cheers everybody, and good to talk to you.
J
jhjl1
Jul 15, 2004
You can easily change the size on screen with zoom tool. If you select the zoom tool one option you have is fit on screen.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
more the size of the image on the screen
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 15, 2004
…. Byron’s suggestion of not resampling when I do it seems to be the answer.

Then you WERE getting some humongous file sizes. Made up of interpolated pixels, essentially garbage past a certain point.

M

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections