You just put together a page using a bunch of layers: what is the best way to break it down now in

EW
Posted By
Eliot_Wasmund
Jul 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any help woud really be appreciated. Like I said in the subject line, I want to make a web page using these great photoshop layers. So I put it all together using a bunch of layers. The entire page. I did it this way so that I would know for sure that it would all fit back together later and have the right background and all. Now I am trying to figure out a way to break apart the whole page by pieces and save those parts as jpegs so that I can piece them back together later using . My only problem is taking it apart as pieces. So if anyone out there has a clue of what I’m talking about, I could use some good advice. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EW
Eliot_Wasmund
Jul 14, 2004
the part that it edited above was that I plan on piecing it back together again using div’s
KB
Kiwi_Blair
Jul 14, 2004
Eliot,
Sounds like you need a feature called ‘image slicing’. Photoshop can do that, also other photo editors such as Serif PhotoPlus, but not Photoshop Elements as far as I’m aware.
S
sunnyway
Jul 15, 2004
After first saving the image for web, I’ve had luck by using the pencil tool to draw a single pixel width line grid on the picture. I then select the contents of each square using the marquis tool, and copy and paste it into a new file, repeating for each of the other squares. I. e. if I have a picture with a grid of 6 squares, I end up with six new files, plus the original. Name them in a manner that you’ll be able to piece them together easily when posting on your web page. I generally use a borderless table for insertion on the web page.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 15, 2004
Eliot….

If I’ve understood what you want to do correctly, it sounds as if you want to save each layer as a seperate image file. You can do this as follows, assuming that you have saved the composite image as a PSD with all its layers.

1. Open the file with all the layers you want to save
2. Using the layers pallet make only one layer visible, lets say the background layer first.
3. Goto the menu File|Save As and when the pop window appears make sure that you check the box saying ‘Save as copy’. Also make sure the box called ‘Layers’ is un-checked.
4. Enter a file name of your choice and file type and click save.

You should get an image file with just the layer in it.

Repeat for the other layers by just making them visible one by one.

If you have more than one layer visible then when you do the above the resulting image will be flattened with just the layers you selected.

Hope this helps

Colin
EW
Eliot_Wasmund
Jul 15, 2004
Thank you. This is what I needed. I eventually remembered there was the crop tool, and used that, but this will work much better. Thanks again.
EW
Eliot_Wasmund
Jul 15, 2004
I was just wondering now if there is any way to edit the layers in such a way that they are not all images of size 800×600? Because I saved them as separate layers and I have the separate images that I need, but they are all 800×600 which of course makes the file size much bigger.
KB
Kiwi_Blair
Jul 15, 2004
Eliot,
You have not explained why you want to preserve the layers on the webpage – seems pointless to me, and as you have discovered, you end up with a large amount of extra files to up/download.

Surely it is easiest to flatten your image (but keep a psd file to preserve the layers if you need to) then make the image into a jpeg. The usual reason for slicing large images into sections is to make it more tolerable for site visitors to download in bits, but it doesn’t make downloading any quicker. Whichever way you do it you’ll have a big image or composite image to up/download and internet surfers are notoriously impatient with big downloads.
Blair.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections