BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, everyone. It’s fairly simple (usually) to repair purple fringing in PE, but I have a terrible time trying to fix red/blue CA. Does anyone have a good way of dealing with this?

Of course, the CS RAW converter is adquate if not great for this, but the only photos I have with this problem are jpgs.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 20, 2004
Barbara, I’ve seen purple fringing, but what exactly are the symptoms of red/blue chromatic aberration? Red and blue side-by-side fringing instead of purple?

Chuck
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 20, 2004
It can be done using the panotools plugin. Free but old, OS9/Windows only, buggy as anything on the Mac, crashes Elements frequently, is a pain to set up. I have done it for a combined barrel distortion/red cyan chromatic aberration removal and it worked really well, once i had endured the pain of setting it up, but I lost the settings when I reformatted my hard drive. There are some third party shareware front ends to panotools including an OSX version but I haven’t tried them.
< http://www.caldwellphotographic.com/TutorialsDistortionAndCo lorFringing.html> discusses what you need to do in panotools to fix the problem (and links to download the tools – the original site is closed, you need to use one of the mirrors).
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 21, 2004
Here’s another one similar to the link Susan gave. It uses Panotools also:

< http://ray.cg.tuwien.ac.at/rft/Photography/TipsAndTricks/Abe rration/>

I haven’t used it yet, except to explore the action set in CS. I was curious as to how he did the red channel-desaturated edges thingy. 🙂

Patti
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 21, 2004
Hi, Chuck. No, with red/blue CA the red and blue channels look misaligned so one edge will be red and the opposite side blue.

Thanks, Susan and Patti.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections