Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have downloaded from this site many times:

<http://www.goldclipart.com/freeindex.htm>

but when I tried today I am getting all sorts of problems. For example one of the Music gifs MUS2 It down loads OK but when I tried to open it in Elements it says "could not complete your request becuse the file format could not parse the file". So I opened it using Graphic converter and then tried to save it as a psd … but it says "your images uses transparency the selected file format does not support this feature so the image will be saved without transparency" same thing if I try to save as a tiff.

anyone any ideas?

Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Help …. please can someone else try …

I’m tearing my hair out 🙂

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy

If you mean the 3 note in on the top row, the eight note (that would be quaver across the pond), then it opens in my version of Elements 2 just fine. First I dragged and dropped it ad it opened then I save it to disk and opened it from there.

Grant – but then i have no hair to tear out.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy, I went to site.
Found MUS2, right clicked, save picture as (in IE6).
Got MUS2.gif.
Opened in PE2, no prob…has transparent background.

Catch us up on your system/browser/download procedure.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 24, 2004
Just did Grant’s drag/drop directly from website into PE2. Also no probs that way.

Mac
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 24, 2004
Sorry thought everyone knew the drag and drop trick. If Elements is open just drag and drop and the new image will become the active image. If Elements is not open just drag and drop onto the Elements desk top icon and Elements will open with the image active. Not sure if this works in a Mac but I would suspect it does.

Grant
R
RobertHJones
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy,

I tried downloading the MUS2.gif image you mentioned and nothing is wrong — it opens perfectly with Elements, no problems.

Either the gif was corrupted during download or it may have something to do with your system but I have no idea what.

The Graphic Converter messages don’t make sense, PSD certainly does support transparency. Very odd.

Does this only happen with gifs you download from that web site? Do other gifs already on your computer open ok?
RL
Russell_L_Andrews
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy,
I downloaded the MUS2 from the link you provided. The file opened right up in Elements. I am using my brother’s computer which has Windows 98SE & PSE2. I have added a few extras to Elements but can’t remember adding anything connected to the gif format. I know that my brother has not added or changed anything either (he leaves that to me). Anyway I do remember downloading some kind of Microsoft parser in the past, but I don’t think it had anything to do with elements.
Anyway, I hope that somebody else will be able to help you. If I remember or can think of anything else I post back.

Rusty
KW
Kyle_White
Jul 24, 2004
Hmmm….

Downloaded OK (MacOS 10.3.4/Mozilla 1.8a3 – drag/drop on Desktop), PSE2 opens it with no trubs, but, you’re right, GraphicConverter 4.8 won’t maintain the transparency for TIFF or PSD.

Drag/drop to Desktop from Safari worked as well.

And, from Mozilla/Safari, I can’t drag/drop on PSE2’s Dock Icon and have PSE2 open.

Kyle
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy,
Neat site!
1. I dragged and dropped in to Elements without difficulty
2. I right clicked on the piano, clicked copy, opened Elements, and pasted. I use Win-XP.
3. I already use a towel for a comb.
Ken
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy,

No problem drag/drop into PE2. Win98SE.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
No problem here–10.3.2, although I did have to change the mode from indexed to RGB to save the transparency.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
EDIT Sorry, that wasn’t clear. I meant that to use it in another image I had to change the mode. It had full transparency as a gif by itself.

I just used the drag it out of Safari technique to download it.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 24, 2004
Grant,

I’ve just tried the drag and drop and I can’t get it to work. Do you simply point to the image and drag or do you select first or what.

I feel vwery inadequate!

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks folks,

Well I think I have solved it … well at least partially. I think its a browser issue …

I was using Camino on the Mac and had all the problems I said in my original post when I tried to open it in either PSE2 or Graphic converter … but I noticed this afternoon that when I was looking at the "gif" in Graphic converter … whilst the ending said gif the file info said png.

When Kyle & Barbara said Motzilla and Safari work OK I decided to try it from Safari and that worked fine BUT when I both "Save As" or drag & drop (thanks for that Grant I didn’t know you could do it that way) the file goes onto the desktop as MUS2.pgn … and that of course goes into Elements just fine.

Like I said before I have used this site many times and have never had any problems but I may have been using Safari then.

Anyway thank for the help … at least I can use the site now even if the "gifs" do end up as "pngs".

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Dick,

To drag and drop you need to click on the image … hold the button down and drag it onto the desktop.

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
BUT when I both "Save As" or drag & drop (thanks for that Grant I didn’t know you could do it that way) the file goes onto the desktop as MUS2.pgn … and that of course goes into Elements just fine.

I really don’t get this, Wendy. It says "graphics interchange format" when I do a get info on it, shows the gif extension, is recognized by preview as a gif. When I do a ‘save as’ in PE it shows as "compuserve gif."
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Barbara,

Camino download goes to desktop as "gif" … file info shows as "graphics interchange format" and will not load into Elements but Graphic Converter info box shows as "png".

Safari download goes to desktop as "png"… file info shows as "Portable Network Graphics Image" this will load into Elements OK and Graphic Converter info box shows as "png".

The only other thing I can think of is that last week I changed to Onspeed for quicker downloading … I wonder if that could be affecting it?

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 24, 2004
Wendy

What happens when you drag it directly into Elements.

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Hi Grant,

If I drag it straight into Elements instead of onto the desktop I again get the message "could not complete your request becuse the file format could not parse the file"

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
I would guess that maybe onspeed may have something to do with it, because it’s totally normal in Safari here, Wendy.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
The way onspeed works is that their server adds extra compression to your downloads which means it goes faster .. it does now sound as though that it causing the problem … Everything else downloads fine but this is the first time I have tried downloading gifs.

I would check it out with another site … but I don’t know of another one that uses gifs.

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
Just google for ‘free clip art," Wendy, but be sure you’ve got your pop-up blocker turned on!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 24, 2004
Can you turn off onspeed temporarily and try without it?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 25, 2004
Barbara,

It is getting even more peculiar … I decide to go back there and download some other images AND every other section downloads as gifs which then load into Elements without any problems. Its just the music section that I am having the problems with.

I can turn onspeed off but its a bit messy to do … maybe I will try it tomorrow .. But for now its getting very late so I am off to bed.

Thanks for the help
Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 25, 2004
Barbara,

One of the other images from another section doesn’t open either but I have now noticed that its the latest images they have added to the site that I have the problems with …. has to be a conflict problem somewhere 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jul 25, 2004
Good luck getting to the root of it, Wendy. Let us know what you find.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 25, 2004
Wendy,

Thanks but that doesn’t work for me, every time I click and drage an image onto PSE it opens a new image that is blank.

If I drage the image onto the PSE icon, the same thing occurs.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 25, 2004
I think I found the problem. The drag and drop does not work in Mozilla but it does in IE.

Dick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections