RM
Posted By
Russ_Myer
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought Lynch’s book, loaded up the program furnished on his CD, and now, when I load in photois from my digital camera, the photos are quite dark. The pictures are normal in Photo Paint, etc. Is there some way to recalibrate my moinitoir (if that’s the problem?)? When I do brightness/contrast, etc., I can make them look quite nice, but when I bring them into CorelDraw for formatting into a page, etc., they are all washed out! Help, please!! HIs book looks greatl. He does have his CD load some new tools, etc. into Elements 2. Could this be the problem?

Doc Myer (with thanks)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SS
Susan_S.
Jul 23, 2004
I shouldn’t think it’s anything to do with the tools on Richard’s disk – they are purely actions which run in Elements and have no impact on the colour settings of your computer or Elements. It is something more fundemental to your Elements/ computer set up. Elements, unlike just about everything else is a is a colour managed program. So that Elements knows how to display your pictureas accurately you need to create a colour profile for your screen and callibrating the monitor – if you are running Windows you need to run Adobe gamma which came with Photoshop Elements. If you are running Mac OSX then you need to run the colour utility from the Displays preference/colour tab. Either way start with the default profile for your monitor and make sure you save the new calibrated profile with a new name. (LCD screens may be harder – I don’t have one, but it may be a matter of using a canned profile that came with the monitor and making sure that Elements recognises this is the profile to use – there have been other posts on this topic but I can’t find them right now)
R
RobertHJones
Jul 23, 2004
Russ,

Susan is absolutely correct. The problem has nothing to do with Richard’s tools, you need to calibrate your monitor and establish a color management profile for it. Once you have done this, your monitor will have it’s brightness and contrast controls adjusted and a profile will be created and associated with it. I just want to add that after you’ve calibrated the monitor, keep your hands off the brightness and contrast controls. Changing them will mess up your calibration.

In addition to what Susan said, you would probably do well to read the introduction and monitor calibration portion of Ian Lyon’s web site: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm. This is written for Photoshop 7 which has more color management capabilities than Elements but much of the site is generally applicable to Photoshop Elements as well — especially the monitor calibration portion. Richard’s book also has information on calibrating your monitor.

Have fun,

Bob
RM
Russ_Myer
Jul 24, 2004
I suspected it was a color calibration problem. I notice that the gamma loader applet is in my start-menu. When I had Elements 2 loaded on my previous hard-drive (which crashed), the photos were great when loaded into Elements — and the gamma apllet was NOT in the start-up. (Had a lot of start-up problems, so may have removed it back then).

I’ll do the calibration routine … and many thanks for your insight and help.

Russ
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 24, 2004
If you have calibrated your monitor once, don’t forget to repeat this procedure monthly. You will be surprised about the difference. I run my calibration system every two weeks and although I own a pretty good (and pretty expensive) monitor I really need to do this for critical work.

Leen
RM
Russ_Myer
Jul 24, 2004
Actually, I had alrady recalibrated my monitor in Corel Photo-Paint, and recalibrated again. I was not able to find Lynch’s calibration procedure in Control Panel, and it’s not appearing on his CD-ROm, unless it has a name that does not suggest recalibration. I unloaded Elements, hoping to reinstall and, perhaps, see a difference. In the interim, I checked Properteis on my Phillip’s Monitor and found a file called plump19.icm (can’t recall the exact name). I removed it and reinstalled Elements. Now, all pictures come in looking as they did previous to using the Hidden Powers CD. Next, I tried to reload the Hidden Powers files and I get a ‘run-time’ error. The computer world is getting too complex for me, I think!! Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I’d sure like to dive into Lynch’s book, which looks great. Russ
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 24, 2004
Russ,

Richard didn’t include a calibration program on the cd … I’m sure he suggests you use Adobe Gamma which is part of Elements. Try this link if you are still having trouble finding it:

<http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7483>

Wendy
RM
Russ_Myer
Jul 25, 2004
I went on the Net and found that plump19.icm is a Phillips Monitor profile. Never had it installed before. I need to solve the ‘run-time’error problem, then I can re-install Lynch’s tools.

I much appreciate your help. This forum is, by far, the best I’ve ever joined. Russ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections