HS
Posted By
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a B&W print nut, OK. I have finally reached the stage where I feel that my computer prints equal my darkroom prints.(I have a separate head with six shades of gray ink, the Quad series) Now my question, will the difference in quality justify spending the money for the profile? Does profiling work with B&W prints? Seems to me the reason for profiling is to match the color on the monitor with the print color.

Thanks, Hugh

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 23, 2004
I don’t know anything about B & W profiling and I’m sure someone here does..but my question…which printer are you using ? This will help alot.
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Jodi;

Sorry about that, I print with a Canon S800

Hugh
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 23, 2004
Hugh,
I make my own profiles using Monaco Ezcolor. There is no provision for making B&W specific profiles that I’m aware of, BUT my B&W prints, done with the color inks are much more accurate using my color media profiles than they were before. Part of the IT-8 Target that is printed and scanned as part of the profiling process is monochrome .

I’m not sure that this should reassure you that your money will be well spent on a profile <G> . The better solution is using quadtone inks ( or some other strictly non color solution ) to specialize in B& W Prints.
🙂

Brent
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks Brent.

I do use the quadtone inks and some of the really fine papers that in the past have been only used by artists.

Hugh
BB
brent_bertram
Jul 23, 2004
Hugh,
Are you using the MIS Quadtones ? I’m thinking of trying them in my 4 color Epson 1520, and I’m wondering how difficult you think the workflow is ?

🙂

Brent
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 23, 2004
Brent;

I get my Quad inks, six different cartridges for my S800 printer from Digital Art Supplies 9596 B Chesapeake Drive in San Diego CA 92123 and I notice they are sent from Photofile, 466 Central Ave, Suite 31,Northfield, Illinois. Seems to me the Quad inks come from an ink maker in England but I can’t remember the name.(Lyson?)
The Digital catalog lists both Epson and Canon Quad inks, their tele is 1-877-534-4278. They will also send paper samples.
No experience with Epson, but Canon is dead simple. (If it wasn’t I would not be able to use it) Hugh

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections