Posted By
Peter_Benedetti
Jan 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am looking into buying a new IMAC and was wondering about whether or not the graphics card that comes with it supports the new CS4 features. Does anyone know if the-

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO w/256MB card

-that comes with the IMAC supports all of the new features or would I need to upgrade?

The other card offered as an upgrade is the-

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3

I have not been able to find any specific information online regarding whether or not these cards are supported.

The only information that I have found that was worth while said that the-

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO w/256MB card

-works better with final cut pro, which is a concern for me since I also use FCP.

Any help would be appreciated…..Thanks!!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
See: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405445>

For Macintosh (including iMac), the First Generation AMD/ATI Radeon X1900 and Second Generation NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT, GeForce 8800GS, and GeForce 8800M GT are the currently "officially" compatible cards on the Mac. Your Radeon model is not on the list.

There are other cards, including custom flashed Windows cards, that may also work.

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 21, 2009
Have you taken a good, long, hard look at an iMac in the flesh? A lot of graphics-oriented users and photographers find the glossy screen of new iMacs as unsuitable for critical work.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
In addition, limited expandability (RAM, internal storage, peripheral connectivity) may make the iMac a less-than-ideal choice for some peoiple. How do you intend to use the machine?

Neil
P
PShock
Jan 21, 2009
The previous link deals with the overall CS4 suite.

The Photoshop-specific page lists the ATI HD 2600 as "tested and compatible".

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2>

-phil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for the additional link. However, the OP should check other apps he may have or be considering to be sure that card is also compatible with advanced functions.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jan 21, 2009
Planned usage is important, especially as regards how appropriate an iMac may be. What Neil said:

How do you intend to use the machine?

However even without knowing your exact needs, we do know that Apple is moving its software (e.g. OS 10.6) to greater usage of the capabilities of onboard graphics processors. IMO anyone looking at running any kind of demanding application(s) should purchase a strong graphics processor as part of any new box – whether or not the application demands of today substantially benefit from stronger GPU.

For years I have said the same thing about providing for future RAM and I maintain that opinion.
PB
Peter_Benedetti
Jan 21, 2009
I am a graphic artist and currently own a G4 desktop so it is time for a new machine. Knowing that the new creative suite will not work on my machine has motivated me to buy. My decision to choose the IMAC came about in many respects because of the 24 inch display. I’d rather have a larger display then have to use 2 monitors.

I have recently taken up video editing and also use final cut pro. I am aware that video work requires a more powerful machine in most cases. I do plan on upgrading the RAM to 4 gigs. In saying that, I do know that this may not substitute for a faster processor.

I have no experience with whether the IMAC can handle intensive video work so I appreciate those who have asked what it is I am using the machine for.

Buying the G5 desktop is a little out of my price range which is why I was considering the IMAC.

If anyone feels I am making a horrible mistake then by all means let me know…..

Also, thanks again for the links and all of the information…..
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jan 21, 2009
Peter-

You may have some terms wrong, such as "buying a G5." G5 towers are no longer made, they are now Mac Pros with Intel processors.

The engineering compromises necessary to make iMacs cute IMO make iMacs poor choices for heavy graphics app usage. E.g. 4 GB RAM may seem like a lot to you now but moving forward with OS 10.6 and evolved apps it will not be. Also iMacs require external hard drives and the performance hit that entails. And graphics cards for towers have been improving at a rapid rate.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 21, 2009
Peter,

I have recently taken up video editing and also use final cut pro.

No. Not an iMac. An iMac would not be recommended for serious video or photo processing use. Look at a tower with large, fast hard drives, maybe even a RAID system, and lots of RAM.

Unfortunately, Apple no longer makes their 23" display, and it’s "replacement" 24" display only comes with a glossy screen and no adapter for it to connect to anything other than a new laptop. There are some good Dells and other brands to fill the gap.

Neil
PB
Peter_Benedetti
Jan 21, 2009
Hi Allen and Neil,

First off thanks for all the advice. It has been very helpful. I’d also like to clear up that I am aware of and was referring to the "Mac Pros" when I said G5. I only used the term because I had just mentioned having a G4 and mistakenly referred to the new towers as "G5" ….

In any event I do have 2 large externals (1TB and 400 GB) that I would be using for the video editing. This I would assume still doesn’t help my cause, if I was to settle for the IMAC.

The tower I know is the best choice in the long run which I was aware of from the start.

I wasn’t aware that the IMAC display was that bad and that is something serious to consider.

Again I’m only asking for advice and wasn’t ready to commit right away to anything. I am now seriously considering waiting a while and investing in the Mac Pro.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 22, 2009
The iMac display is not bad at all if we talk about the 24" iMac. Regardless of its glossiness. It’s actually quite good. It is more a matter of what you are used to, surrounding light, and of course how picky you are with what you work on ;).
R
RandyPugh
Jan 26, 2009
I have a 24" iMac. I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and also some Final Cut Studio. I run After Effects CS4, also. I do my color grading in Apple Color. I work extensively in Photoshop. I totally disagree with others that say the machine and screen is unacceptable. Granted, I don’t do this for large companies, but my results are everything I want them to be.
I can’t afford a Mac Pro and all its goodies, so this is what I’ve chosen to use. I have not been disappointed.
Just my experience.

Randy
P
PShock
Jan 26, 2009
I agree, Randy.

I’m sure there are plenty of pro users who quite happily use iMacs. While using one for heavy PS or FCP use isn’t ideal (mainly because of less expandability options), it’s perfectly fine for those on a budget.

-phil
B
Buko
Jan 26, 2009
I do my color grading in Apple Color.

Uhg!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections