Colors are different in PS CS3 Vs CS4, Why ?

ES
Posted By
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

I just found out that colors of a photo in CS3 is not looking the same in CS4 ? I have a G5 with Geforce 6600 card in and i had to turn of OpenGL because it was so slow when it was enabled.
Then i tried to open both Photoshop CS3 and CS4 at the same time to check a picture and saw for my suprice that the colors was not identical.. Weird.
It is lighter in PS CS4 that in CS3

Also from Bridge CS4 to Photoshop CS4 it was different.

Is that normal. I woulden say.

In my Suite CS3 all colors looks the same in Bridge and PS. OFCAUSE.

I did check my color settings first. They are the same all over (Adobe 98)

Is it a bug or is it because i turned of the open GL settings in PS CS4 ?

If it is because i turned of the Open GL settings in PS CS4, that would be a very bad thing to do because many people have older computers where the GPU dosent work well with the Open GL settings ON and you can at least work when its OFF. But not if the colors are not right.

Please. If someone could replay on this matter. I’m sure more people will like to know this. I’m not even sure many people noticed this, so everybody. If you have Creative Suite CS3 and CS4 on your Mac.
Try uncheck the Open GL settings in PS CS4 and restart PS. Then compare the picture in PS CS3 and CS4 at the same time !!!

Hope someone have some answers ?

Thanks you

Photographer
Erik S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jan 27, 2009
All I can say is I had the same setup as you and I didn’t have that difference.

I now have a GeForce 7800GT and still have both apps looking identical.

When did you calibrate your monitor last and how? Are the color settings set the same in both apps?
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 28, 2009
Hi.

Thanks for your replay.

Last night i found out what coursed it.

It is the new setting in Color setup called "compensate for Scene-rerred profiles" When this option is turned ON. My colors are not identical. But the funny part is. On my Macbook Pro at home. When "compensate for Scene-rerred profiles" is turned ON. Everything is fine. Colors are the same.

It is only on my 2 Mac Pro at work. I have to turn off "compensate for Scene-rerred profiles" otherwise colors are lighter in PS CS4 then in Bridge CS4
This "compensate for Scene-rerred profiles" setting in color setup is a new thing in CS4 i guess. From what i can read, it has something to do with colors in After Effect CS4 ?

Could anyone tell me if my color setup is still working right and trustfully if i turn the "compensate for Scene-rerred profiles" OFF in Color setup.

Thanks again for every answer 🙂
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 28, 2009
I now found out a little more info.

Compensate for Scene-Referred Profiles. If you use Photoshop to create documents for the Adobe After Effects motion-graphics application and After Effects is set to its default color management settings, you’ll want to turn this option on. For everyone else, it doesn’t matter how you set it.

The Advanced options are named Advanced for a reason; most users should not need to touch them.

I think the reason why my colors are not the same on my 2 work Mac Pro is because After Effect CS4 is also installed but at home on my Macbook Pro. After Effect is not installed !
That says why my colors are the same at home and shiftet at work 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 28, 2009
If your display profile claims to be scene referred, something is wrong. How did you create the profile for your display? And what working space/document profile are you using?
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 29, 2009
Hi.

I have a Pro Eizo 24" ColorEdgeCG 242W and it have the ColorNavigator Calibration 5.x Software budle with it. It uses the Eye One Display 2 Calibrator so it is well calibrated.
And i use the Adobe 98 color space for working space. Also setup in Photoshop CS4.

Its really weird. It is only on the computers where After Effect CS4 is installed also. All the other Macs where After Effect is not installed on. Colors are right ?
Its like because After effect is installed also, the colors are shifted somehow. I read somewhere that the "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" had to do with colors in After effect. I dont know if thats right.

I had to turn the "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" OFF on my 2 Mac Pro computers, otherwise colors was much lighter in Photoshop CS4.
But on my Macbook Pro where After effect is not installed. I can leave the "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" be turned ON and the colors are fine.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 29, 2009
I have this Eizo monitor:

<http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg241w/index.asp>

One thing that crossed my mind.
All the computer where it happen all have the Pro Eizo CG241W monitor connected. On my Macbook Pro where colors are fine i have a Samsung (not pro) monitor connected.
Could it be that the monitor talks with Photoshop CS4 ?

When i turn "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" OFF on all the computers with Eizo monitors connected. The picture in PS CS4 gets lighter and it dosent happen on my MBP with a Samsung monitor connected.

I cant figure out if it is because the Eizo monitors talks with the system/photoshop CS4 or if it is because i have After effects CS4 installed ?

I beginning to get really confused.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 29, 2009
Erik – have you checked for updates to the Eizo calibration software — they have had to fix a lot of bugs in the past few years.

The change probably happens because your display profile is incorrectly claiming to be scene referred. So, you need a display profile that isn’t broken, and for that you probably need to update your calibration software.
BW
Bob_Warmen
Jan 29, 2009
It should be the same that is very odd.
R
Ram
Jan 30, 2009
Does the problem go away when you turn off OpenGL and re-launch Photoshop?
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 30, 2009
Hi Chris.

Btw, thx for all your replays. I really appreciate it.
It’s really a problem i can see.

Infact its not a very old Eizo software. Its from around mid 2008 called v5.1.2. I did noticed a new 5.2 update arrived lately so i will try make the update a re-calibrate.

Its not only a problem on 1 specific Mac. It is a problem on all the Mac where a Eizo monitor is connected (3 Mac pro)

I will check this later today and replay back with information.

One question. If i dont find the answer in Eizo new software. Would it be a problem just to turn OFF "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" on those Mac Pro ?

If i dont use After effect or do any video/movie correction. Could i just turn it OFF.

Will report back later.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 30, 2009
Hi Ramón G Castañeda

No. It dosent go away even if i turn off Open GL settings. Same thing.

No matter what i do, pictures keeps getting lighter in photoshop CS3 if i turn "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" ON.
I have to turn it OFF all time if i want true colors ??? TRUE COLORS. Is that what i get,mmm

Thats why i asked earlier if i could turn off "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" without loosing something important.

From what i can see here. If i turn it OFF. My colors looks normal again like in photoshop CS3. I have no problems in PS CS3, only CS4 because it have "compensate for Scene-referred profiles" option.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 30, 2009
Erik – you can turn off that option, but the option wouldn’t cause a difference in the first place if the display profile wasn’t bad.

Turning off the option just masks the real problem: your display profile.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 30, 2009
Hi Chris.

Ok. So it is okay to turn it off, right ?
I will still have true colors when its off.

And yes. I need to try that updated Eizo software to see if that helps. Its just funny that the monitor profile can be corupted on 3 different computers or the application just makes the profile Scene referred and thats Eizo way ?

Dont know. I’m very confused about this issue.
I just want to be shure my colors are true if i turn this thing off.

Big thanks for help so far 😉

Lets see what happen after i update that Eizo software.
I dont think anything is going to change really.
Maybee Eizo calibration software just do it this way.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 31, 2009
It should be ok to turn it off — but you STILL have a bad display profile that might mess up other things. (kind of like turning off your headlights because one is busted — you’re going to get in trouble one way or another)

I don’t know why your display profile is bad – most likely it is a bug in the Eizo software (which I hope they have fixed by now).
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Jan 31, 2009
Alright Chris.

Great.
Will turn it off for now and then check the new Eizo v5.2.1 software to see if that helps. I wonder why no one else with Eizo ColorEdge CG monitors and Photoshop CS4 didn’t report something in here ?
Maybe they didn’t noticed anything yet. You have to have focus on things.. lol It was just out of luck that i discovered it. I was working on some pictures and had the same pictures showed in Bridge CS4 behind Photoshop and there to my suprice i saw something was not right ??? My Bridge thumbnails was darker that my working picture in PS.
So i started to check around on the internet and finally here.

Lets see if anybody else finds this problem.

Anyway. I get back to you Chris
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 1, 2009
Chris.

Do you know if Eizo have a user forum somewhere ?
I have been looking and searching all over without luck. I wanted to report the issue to Eizo aswell. Maybe they already know something.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 1, 2009
Erik – no, I don’t know. I haven’t rated an Eizo monitor yet.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 1, 2009
Hi Chris.

Good news. I cant tell you how happy i am for all your help 😉 and you other guys.

The latest Eizo 5.2.1 software fixed the problem on all 3 Eizo monitors.. Weeee

I’m back to normal.

Now i just have another damn problem started not long ago ;(

My Photoshop CS3 and CS4 keeps crashing on me after a wile of work ??? I tried everything. Deleted preffs etc. etc.

It have been working for long long time but suddenly it keeps crashing all the time.

I tried to remove some new plug-ins, but it was not that. Only thing i did also was to install new ram.
Upgraded from 10GB to 14GB in all our Mac Pro.
So after i tried to switch the ram around to check if some was bad. Also run some memory software but everything came out right.

So now the only thing left is that Photoshop dosent like ram between 14GB & 16GB. Under was fine and i never tried over 16 gigs.. weird

Any ide what could corse this ?
R
Ram
Feb 1, 2009
Could be mismatched RAM, improperly seated RAM sticks, software corruption…

First thing you need to do is make a fresh, new Mac account and log in as a different user. Does the problem go away? If it does, you have software corruption in your regular account.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 1, 2009
Hi Ramón G Castañeda

Thx for your suggestion 🙂

I did try different ram seating and sizes but nothing helped. Its just funny it all started after i upgraded my ram from 10GB to 14GB.
Never had any problems with 10GB ?

One thing i will try first is to go back to the 10GB and see what happen. After i will try what you said.. Thx again.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 1, 2009
Btw. i could also try to clone my good working Macbook pro and see if that helps.

When i got my 2 Mac Pro, i cloned it from my Macbook Pro and it have been running flawless ever since accept for this new issue !
It was easier than start all over with installation etc. etc.
R
Ram
Feb 1, 2009
From #19:

First thing you need to do is make a fresh, new Mac account and log in as a different user. Does the problem go away? If it does, you have software corruption in your regular account.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 2, 2009
Alright. That i will try.

But isn’t that the same as if i use another boot drive (Startup HD) I have a clone from another good working Mac. If that works well, it must be the same thing. Almost anyway 🙂
R
Ram
Feb 2, 2009
But isn’t that the same as if i use another boot drive

No.
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 2, 2009
(#24) mmm, thats true !

One time i tried to make a new user. It was back in time when OS 10.x first came. When everything was fixed, i tried to delete the new user i just made, but i coulden ? I coulden delete or trash it.

Thats why i didn’t try your suggestion yet.. lol
Afraid i cant delete that new user i have to make……

Question ? it will be possible to delete after i tested it, right
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
Oy!

Of course, Erik. But having more than one account is not a problem.
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
Mac OSX: Delete a user account

Deleting a user account is neat and clean with Mac OS X. This recipe describes the procedure and consequences of deleting a user.

To delete a user, click System Preferences, then Accounts and select the user to delete. Click on the minus sign under the Login Options button, authenticating as the administrator if needed.

When a user is deleted in this manner, the contents of the user’s directories are stored in a disk image (/Users/Deleted Users/userid.dmg). This file can be deleted (by an administrator) or kept (just in case).

< http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1017/mac-osx-delete-a-user-ac count/>
ES
Erik_Sjogren
Feb 3, 2009
Cool.

Forgot about the System preffs/accounts… Ofcause 🙂

I used the clone from my Macbook Pro the hole day yesterday with no crashes 🙂 But i didn’t use PS that much.
Will test some more tomorrow.

We will see.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections