JC
Posted By
Jeane_Carlson
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to know the BEST way to correct for over-exposed photos. I know about the auto corrections but they don’t do the job. Since there seems to be 101 ways to do each thing in Elements, maybe someone can point me in the right direction to do at least a passable job on these photos.
Thanks very much.
Jeane

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 16, 2004
Jeane,

Try this, although I must invoke the disclaimer for ‘best’. Duplicate your background, change blending mode to ‘multiply’ and adjust the opacity slider to the left until you get something you like. This is one of the easiest methods. There are other methods that are more involved for isolating targeted areas of your image. It would be helpful if you could post your image so I could offer more specific suggestions.
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 17, 2004
I would vote for Mark’s suggestion as the "best" general advice, i.e. the method that is most likely to give good results most of the time.

Understand, though, that if the highlights are completely blown, there’s no image detail there, and no technique known to mortals can restore detail that doesn’t exist.
JC
Jeane_Carlson
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks, Mark and Stu.
That helped…I realize they will never be great shots, but at least that made them ALMOST good. lol
Jeane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 17, 2004
That helped…I realize they will never be great shots, but at least that made them ALMOST good

Ain’t it wonderful that we can salvage something out of a ‘throwaway’? My friends think I’m a better photographer than I really am… with the help of Photoshop I cover my tracks in my ‘learning’ process.
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 18, 2004
I’ve found I like to use a gradient map adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode. The black and white gradient looks pretty good. Shanz gradients are especially useful for this. I’m not sure if they are on the exchange or not…and regrettfully I can’t remember his web site off hand. They’re fairly mellow gradients…brown to white, blond to white, teal to white, and so forth. Note: This may introduce some posterization depending on the image. So no guarantee but at least an idea to try. If nothing else, you could pick out one that really colors up the image and make a scrapbook entry with real attitude.

Terri
MR
Mark_Reibman
Aug 18, 2004
Shanz’s a ‘she’ and here’s her website.

<http://www.shanzcan.com/>
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 18, 2004
Oops! It’s a habit. If I’m not sure, I fall on he. It’s been a while since I’ve visited her site.

Terri
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 18, 2004
Terri, just a general comment based on reading a number of threads as I try to catch up after a month out of town:

Your suggestions are brilliant!!

Thanks!

Chuck
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 18, 2004
Chuck,

You’re making me blush! I kind of consider it as kind of a game to find workarounds. It also helps that I’m not the best photographer in the world.

Terri
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 18, 2004
Terri, I don’t know about your photographic skills, but you’re a world-class teacher of Photoshop Elements techniques!
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 19, 2004
Chuck,

Now I am seriously blushing! By the way, the term picture taker may better discribe my skills. Luckily, my photos have a tendency towards low key which I understand is easier to fix than high key.

Terri
JC
Jeane_Carlson
Aug 19, 2004
Terri,
Thank you so much for the gradient map instructions. It really made a big difference in the images. Jeane
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 19, 2004
Jeane,

Glad it helped.

Terri

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections