ED
Posted By
eileen_dougherty
Feb 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS3 On IMac Intel Core Mac OS 10.4.1. Created a large format document using scanned photos and documents. I created a poster 20X40 but when attempting to export the "print" option is greyed out. Saved the document to my desktop, it is a huge file 3.4 GB. Saved it to a CD and took it to Kinkos to be printed. They say it crashed their system and they likewise cannot get it to print and cannot save it to a pdf or any other file. I am new to photoshop and my son set up the document, I just filled it in so not sure what I did wrong. Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Feb 4, 2009
Kinkos was one mistake.

🙂
ED
eileen_dougherty
Feb 4, 2009
It’s just a fun thing to hang in my office so didn’t want to spend a fortune.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
eileen,

3.4 GB sounds too large for a file that is just 20×40 (inches, I presume).

Please tell us file type, color space, resolution, if it has layers, etc., etc. Also tell us the specs that Kinkos provides for preparing art for giant prints.

Neil
P
Phosphor
Feb 4, 2009
A 20" × 40" document, even at 300ppi, shouldn’t be any bigger than about 250MB (just a guess).

I think maybe your son isn’t doing something right.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Phos,

My thinking as well.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Phos,

My thinking as well — 250MB-300MB. And 300 ppi may not even be necessary. 240 ppi may be more than sufficient.

Neil
ED
eileen_dougherty
Feb 4, 2009
Looking under Image, mode, RGB Color and 8 bits channel are checked. It is saved as a .psb file. I saved it first time with layers checked, that created an even larger file, second time with layers not checked and as a copy. In save as embed color profile: sRGBIEC1966-2.1 I edit video so I realize this is an unusually large file, but I can’t figure out how to adjust that.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
eileen.

Flatten all layers and save under a new name. How large is the file then? Is sRGB what Kinko’s wants? It is not the widest gamut color space.

Neil
ED
eileen_dougherty
Feb 4, 2009
I did not ask Kinkos that question, do you have a recommendation on RGB?
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
Ask Kinkos first — maybe they do want sRGB for their workflow.

Neil
P
pfigen
Feb 4, 2009
How many pixels in any one direction? You still can’t print a file with over 30,000 pixels on side without using a RIP.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 4, 2009
Also, can Kinkos work with a .PSB file?

They probably need a TIFF or even a JPEG.
ED
eileen_dougherty
Feb 4, 2009
I have a call into Kinkos on the color their Mac guy is not in. I did flatten and save, now it’s 1.5GB, better but is that still considered large for this type of project? And, thank you very much for for the advice. Photoshop has always been a mystery to me.
P
pfigen
Feb 4, 2009
Eileen,

If your flattened file is 1.5 gb, then it’s almost for certain longer than the printable limits with the standard print drivers.

When you open the file and go to Image Size, what are you dimensions?

A quick check of Photoshop’s new file dialog. A 40 X60 RGB 8 bit file with no compression would be 1.5 gigs at 820 dpi. That’s 32,800 pixels in the long dimension, which is probably where you problem is. Size it down to 180-240 ppi and print away.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
eileen,

I have a call into Kinkos on the color their Mac guy is not in.

You probably don’t have to speak with a "Mac guy" as Photoshop files are platform-neutral. Speak to anyone in their "print shop" and ask what their file requirements are for "giant prints".

In addition to choices of media, mounting options and prices, you want to know: Format
Recommended resolution
Maximum file size (pixels x pixels and file "weight"), if any Color mode
Any specific "do’s and don’ts"

Neil
P
Phosphor
Feb 4, 2009
And if you really want to throw their "experts" a curve, ask them to send you a copy of their printer(s) color profile(s), so you know your submission will be accurate.

😉 XD
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 4, 2009
And if you really want to throw their "experts" a curve

Well, at least the response (if any) should be a bit more meaningful than asking at the local Kodak or Fuji kiosk. <lol>

Neil
ED
eileen_dougherty
Feb 6, 2009
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help. I finally figured out it was indeed in the set up my son used. FYI under image he had the resolution set to 1000, reset it to 300 and was able to create a jpg file no problem. It’s fun, not perfect but blown up I can now see where my mistakes were and it didn’t cost an arm ad a leg. So thank you again, my office needed some dressing up. Have a nice weekend,
Eileen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections