S
Posted By
sphilli
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s possible that I have something set wrong, but I’ve double checked everything I can think of, and even reinstalled Elements to try to fix the problem.

When I click on the font tool and type in an image, the words that I type appear in a miniscule size as jibberish that resembles tetris blocks. I’ve tried using different fonts (the only thing that changes when I do this are the shapes of the odd blocks), changing the font size (I have to zoom in to +400% of normal to even view the typed "words" even if its set on 72pt font)

I have a Mac with OS X. The first attempt that I make to type after reinstalling works, but each subsequent attempt does not, even after restarting the program.

Also: I didn’t not have this problem with the trial version. Just with the purchased version. Advise?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 19, 2004
Have you deleted preference file? I read somewhere that when you uninstall/reinstall PSE or PS that this file isn’t actually deleted since it’s stored in your document settings (it’s in a hidden folder…at least on Win XP) instead of the program itself. You can either manually delete the folder or better yet hold the shift, control, and alt keys while launching PSE. Just answer okay to deleting preferences.

Terri
S
sphilli
Aug 19, 2004
Hmm… gave that a try, but it didn’t seem to help the font problem. : ) Thanks though!
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 19, 2004
What’s the resolution of the image you’re working on? That’ll make a big difference in how the font is displayed. There is a correlation between resolution and font size, unlike when you’re working with a standard Word doc, or similar.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 20, 2004
After clicking on the type tool try the ‘reset tool’ icon on the top left of your screen.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 20, 2004
Sphilli,

Beth’s advice is along the lines of my first thoughts, as well. A given point-size font will display smaller in a lower-resolution image.

Here’s a simple demonstration:
– Create a new document, 800×600 px, white background, 300 pixels/inch. – Select the Type tool, set font to Arial, Regular, 24pt. Type "300" to create a text layer.
– Under Image, Resize, Image Size – with Resample UNchecked – change the Resolution to 200 pixels/inch.
– Select the Background layer and re-set your font size to 24, then type "200" to create another text layer.
– Rub your eyes in amazement at the difference between the two text layers. – Repeat if necessary, decrementing resolution each cycle, to observe the effect.

It has to do with the way a font’s "point" size relates to pixels… I can’t explain it, but have had to accept it.

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections