FOUND A BUG and WHY your cursor selection is off 10 pixels.

TF
Posted By
Thomas_Fletcher
Feb 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Problem: I sometimes have the selection from my cursor off 10 pixels.

I found out why this is happening and anyone can recreate this in the latest installment of Photoshop CS4 (I’m using extended)(mac)

Step 1: Make a new document. (any size)
Step 2: Turn ruler ON (CMD or CTRL + R)
Step 3: View document in full screen mode with menu bar (F once to fill the screen) Step 4: Create a new document from that view (CMD or CTRL + N) Step 5: Using the marquee tool, drag on the stage to see your selection off pixels. Step 6: Look at the top of the document. You’ll notice a white buffer the size of the ruler. It’s because of the rulers, in fullscreen, creates a ghost of itself when creating a new document.

Please Adobe… FIX this!! =)

Also Flash CS4 bug. The Action panel on a mac cannot be re-sized from the TOP……. Adobe… seriously. HIRE ME to find these bugs out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 10, 2009
This is a known problem with certain Video cards which are not fully compatible with CS4’s OpenGL.

Your choices are either to buy a new Video Card which is on Adobe’s list of compatible cards; or to disable OpenGL.
B
Buko
Feb 10, 2009
Or you could not be in Full screen mode when you make a new document.

In all the years I’ve used Photoshop I’ve never made a new doc in full screen mode, until today.
P
PShock
Feb 11, 2009
The "Inaccurately drawn Selection" is a known problem with certain Video cards which are not fully compatible with CS4’s OpenGL.

WRONG! There have been reports of this issue involving pretty much every video card on Adobe’s "supported list" – on a wide variety of machines – in both 10.5 and 10.4. It’s a bug.

Did you try Thomas’ steps?

Thomas –

Thanks for sharing that – I’ve never been able to reproduce this at will and the steps you’ve outlined surely makes it happen.

In real world usage however, it rears it’s head for me completely at random and doesn’t require creating a new doc. It can show up at any time while working on a single image but I haven’t been able to discern what invokes it. The cure is always the same though – change screen modes. I’ve never noticed the white space under the ruler however, or even if the ruler is active when it happens, but now I’ll watch for it.

-phil
B
Buko
Feb 11, 2009
Well I can’t say I’ve ever seen it until I followed Thomas’ steps and I know my Video Card is supported.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 11, 2009
Following Thomas’ steps does indeed produce the white strip …

BUT

It does NOT cause my drawn Selections to be offset from where I start them IF I start from a Pixel-edge.

The only time that the marquee does not draw the Selection from the intersection of two Guides is when those Guides are part of the way across a pixel.

Zoom right in and turn on the Pixel-Grid and you can see this.

Changing Screen Modes makes no difference to this behaviour of course.

[Running a 7800GT card on a G5 on Mac OSX 10.4.11.]

So if you are seeing other results it must be due to your hardware or your Mac OSX.
DL
Dave_Lipscombe
Feb 24, 2009
Thank you, thank you. This has been bugging me since I loaded CS4.
ML
Matthias_Lemcke
Feb 25, 2009
Opening a Smart Object while in full screen mode also triggers the problem. Hitting the f-key and thereby changing the screen mode sets the cursor back to normal.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Hitting the f-key and thereby changing the screen mode sets the cursor back to normal.

Interesting. Thanks, Matthias.

Incidentally, for those of us experiencing the 1-pixel displacement of the marching ants when using Command+A or the marquee tool, switching away from the Standard View also solves the problem.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Feb 27, 2009
Just get into the habit of pressing F three times whenever this happens, its pretty quick to rectify. Not a great reflection on the interface testing of CS4 though, there are a few problems here and there with the ease of use of panels and usability overall.
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Just to clarify: Mark’s post ("get into the habit of pressing F three times whenever this happens") refers to the issue in the OP, not the one in the last paragraph in my #8 immediately preceding Mark’s #9.

Hitting F three times brings you right back to not being able to see the marching ants if you’re experiencing the 1-pixel displacement of the marching ants when using Command+A or the marquee tool. For this issue, hit F only once, commit to the selection until you no longer need the marching ants, and then you can go back to standard view.
TF
Thomas_Fletcher
Feb 27, 2009
I actually found that having the rulers ‘on’ is what causes this error. So you just turn them off and it’s fixed.

Also, turn the rulers on and pan around your image in full screen. Now turn them off and see the difference in frame rates. Yeah. Pretty neat huh? Not really…

Listen. I have a solution to all our problems. Why not have Adobe fix all these issues with an update. Since the release of CS4 in October of 2008, there has not been a major update. What is going on?

Frankly, I’m sick in tired of Adobe’s bullshit. Their Q&A must have a smaller budget then the guys who sit around in a room thinking of better ways to market CS5… They could be adding videocard support, fixing minor ui bugs, or adding in stability because this is supposed to be a professional program. We pay a lot of money.

I’ve seen more updates done in a $29 videogame. This is a fact.

It’s called a monopoly. Adobe has the market and they are sitting comfortably. Sending out 100’s of reps talking about their software changing the world of production, when all I see is new shit coming out but never fixing the previous shit to begin with.

Solution to the 10px bug: Get off your ass and fix it Adobe.

I’m NOT the only one.

<http://www.dearadobe.com>
<http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/>
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Since the release of CS4 in October of 2008, there has not been a major update.

What are you talking about? Did you miss the recently released update to Photoshop 11.0.1?
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
for those of us experiencing the 1-pixel displacement of the marching ants when using Command+A or the marquee tool, switching away from the Standard View also solves the problem.

I have to backpedal on that one. 🙁 It does NOT solve the problem, it just makes the marching ants visible, but they’re still off the canvas, one pixel to the left.

Turning rulers off doesn’t help.

However turning the rulers off does make the image move in a smoother fashion across the screen, as implied by Thomas Fletcher in his last post.
ML
Matthias_Lemcke
Feb 27, 2009
Another solution for the cursor problem: Hit the TAB-key two times (hide the panels and bring them back). This forces Photoshop to redraw the screen. Takes less than a second – no reason to get hysterical.
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Ooops, typo:

but they’re still off the canvas, one pixel to the left.

I meant "one pixel to the right" (my other left). :/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections