Posted By
ryanwiley
Feb 19, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1. I made a logo in Photoshop.

2. When I place the image in Indesign, I get a big, white square background.

3. I have tried turning off the background layer. No luck!

4. I have tried converting the background layer into a regular layer and setting transparency to 0%. No luck!

5. Next I am going to try chucking my computer out the window!!

6. Please help with what is, I imagine, a fairly simple task!!

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 19, 2009
ryan,

No need to chuck your computer. OK, no need to chuck it, yet. <g>

What file format and color mode is the file?

Neil
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009
Ryan,

What Neil is implying is that you need to have an image in a file format that supports transparency, such as PSD or TIFF. JPEGs, for instance, do not support transparency.
R
ryanwiley
Feb 19, 2009
….My previous post didn’t show up…apologize if you get this twice.

Thanks for your replies!

1. I have tried both PSD and TIFF files.

2. Color format was CMYK.

3. I have now tried the simplest thing possible.

4. I used the shape tool to create a simple circle with color.

5. I tried once to place, once to paste, and once to drag and drop the the file into Indesign.

6. I get the same result each time…a big white square with a colored circle in the middle of it!!

7. computer out the window in 3…2…1…
R
ryanwiley
Feb 19, 2009
….My previous post didn’t show up…apologize if you get this twice.

Thanks for your replies!

1. I have tried both PSD and TIFF files.

2. Color format was CMYK.

3. I have now tried the simplest thing possible.

4. I used the shape tool to create a simple circle with color.

5. I tried once to place, once to paste, and once to drag and drop the file into Indesign.

6. I get the same result each time…a big white square with a colored circle in the middle of it!!

7. computer out the window in 3…2…1…

Using CS3, by the way
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009
…and you peeled peeled off the white background from your source image first, of course?
R
ryanwiley
Feb 19, 2009
Well…I think that’s the problem. I’m trying to "peel" of the white background, but I think I’m doing it incorrectly.

1. My original source image was a photograph of a yellow Post-it note.

2. I selected just the yellow part of the image.

3. Then I dragged the selected area to a blank Photoshop document.

4. Then I tried to place that image into Indesign. No luck!

5. With the circle I mentioned, I didn’t "peel of the white layer" because there isn’t one, as far as I know. It’s just a simple vector shape.

6. Can’t I just make the background transparent, flatten the image, and then drag the circle over to Indesign without the white square background showing up?

Ryan
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009

3. Then I dragged the selected area to a blank Photoshop document.

Well, you just dragged it onto a totally white background. Now you need to peel off the white. 🙂

5. With the circle I mentioned, I didn’t "peel of the white layer" because there isn’t one, as far as I know. It’s just a simple vector shape.

Well, there is indeed a totally white background spanning the whole document. You need to peel it off there too. What you have there is indeed a vector shape on a white background. 😀

Try this:

2. I selected just the yellow part of the image.

Good. Now Invert the selection and delete it (backspace delete).

Now you have the yellow part surrounded by transparency; you should see the grid there at this time.
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009
Keep in mind: Every single time you create a new document, you are creating a solid white background (what you erroneously refer to as "blank").
P
Phosphor
Feb 19, 2009
….Unless you choose "Transparent" for "Background conents" or if your Toolbox displays another color for the BG and you choose "Background Color" in the New Document dialog.
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks for the correction, Phos±.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 19, 2009

6. Can’t I just make the background transparent, flatten the image, and
then drag the circle over to Indesign without the white square background showing up?

No, once you flattened the image you’ll loose transparency.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 19, 2009
If the background is white you do not need to "peel it off" for placement in InDesign. Just save it as a .psd image and place that. InDesign can handle transparency and create transparent backgrounds all by itself from placed .psd images.
CR
colene_riffo
Feb 28, 2009
Hello Photoshop Gurus!

Using Photoshop CS2 on Mac OSX ver.10.5.6
Objective: Removing the white from the background layer duplicate copy, and enhancing the gray lines, making them black for placing on the top layer. The black line drawing serves as a guide for painting and the layer will be turned off when the painting is finished. Your step by step guidance is appreciated.

Colene
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
colene keep in mind CS2 is not supported in Leopard and may not work as it should. If you are on an Intel Box you may have further problems because Photoshop must run in Rosetta as it is only native on a PowerPC machine.

That said, if you just want to peel off the white use the berg design peel off white plugin. just follow the descriptions in this thread.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections