Scrolling slow with initial marquee selection, but very fast when adding to selection

V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve found that when I zoom in and try to make a selection that requires me to scroll beyond the viewable area, the scrolling becomes very slow when I scroll down. And if I add to the selection (via shift) the scroll becomes very fast, as if the shift key nudges the screen by x number of pixels, just as if I were to shift-move a layer. Is this the intended behavior?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
V6…,

Though I recognize your unique user ID, I don’t even vaguely remember what OS you’re on or what version of Photoshop you are your using, nor your machine specs.

On my setup, I do not see the slowness you mention.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 24, 2009
Ramon, my apologies. I own a MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.6, 2.4 GHz prcoessor with 2 GB of RAM, and 256 MB of VRAM. I’m using Photoshop CS4.

So I ran a couple tests and I think I know what’s occurring. The scroll speed seems dependent on how close or far the cursor is from the canvas edge (the axis in between the image and the scrollbar). So for example, if I were to do a max zoom the window would expand to the very edge of the desktop. When I start the marquee and move my cursor to scroll it’s unable to move any further from the axis because of the desktop edge. This would cause it to scroll more slowly.

Here are a couple of test vids (The zoom is at 3200% and I set up the camera to focus on the top right of the screen):

Window right up against desktop edge (automatically positioned via Photoshop max zoom) < http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=horiz01.flv>

Window edge moved a little away from desktop edge
< http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=horiz03.flv>

Window edge moved past the desktop edge (but axis is still visible) < http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=horiz00.flv>

Could this be considered an oversight in the design since zoom automatically resizes the window for us (of course, this would affect users differently depending on their zoom ratio and display resolution)? This means that I’ll have to resize the window each time the zoom fills the desktop in order to scroll at a proper rate.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
V6…,

Even after watching your video, I can’t reproduce your issue, but then I’m not using a laptop, nor a Mac-Intel box, nor Leopard, and my dual monitors give me an effective 2056 by 1028 screen. :/

Somebody else will no doubt chime in.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, no problem at all. I went over to a co-workers desk and reproduced it with the same effect, but she’s running CS3 (don’t know what version Mac) and zoom doesn’t automatically expand the window.
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Ah! Try UNchecking the "Resize Windows to Fit" box in the Options Bar when you have the Zoom Tool selected.

Also, update Photoshop to 11.0.1.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 25, 2009
Great, this solves the issue!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections