GA
Posted By
guntis_atvars
Feb 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We cannot draw a selection or object from centre out using the option key Tried resetting tools no go
this is occuring on macs and windoze machines in our school enviroment We are using CS3 Extended
Thanks for any insite

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2009
Is this happening when you draw with the Marquis tools or with the Shapes Β— or with both?

Try resetting the tools concerned from the pop-out menu in the Tools Presets (the icon at the extreme left of your Options Bar).
P
Phosphor
Feb 27, 2009
(((ahem…’marquee’)))

πŸ™‚
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2009
OH! I seem inadvertently to have given that tool a bit of "class"!

πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
a bit of "class"!

A bit?! That is the highest title of nobility. One step above and you’re in the realm of royalty (duke). πŸ˜‰
GA
guntis_atvars
Feb 27, 2009
neither marque or shapes work and as I said I have reset the tools
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2009
Trashing Photoshop Prefs. would be the next thing to try.

Also run Repair Permissions; and Cocktail or Onyx to clean out your Caches.
GA
guntis_atvars
Feb 28, 2009
tried that both prefs and thecaches still no go
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
does the option key work outside of Photoshop?
GA
guntis_atvars
Feb 28, 2009
No
Illustrator, Flash and indesign behave the same unfortunatly
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
then I would say that there is something wrong with the setup
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 28, 2009
I wonder if you have setting in your System Preferences which is causing a conflict?

If these computers were all set-up from a central "command post" using a Site Licence, the problem may stem from that.

You may have to Archive & Install new Operating Systems.
GA
guntis_atvars
Feb 28, 2009
it strange that this is occuring on my macbook pro and on our Imacs Might just have to try a clean install when i back at school tomorrow
GA
guntis_atvars
Feb 28, 2009
one imac was set up and an image was created from that machine and then the rest created BUUTT an anomily in that set up would explain why but not why the same thing is happening on my laptop
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 1, 2009
To archive and install to fix a not working shortcut is really overkill, worst kind. Archive and install is a last resort, not a fix for just everything there might be.

Always start to check your personal user-prefs, delete the old ones, start over with new ones. And check defaults in all places where shortcuts can get overriden, like Spotlight, Systempreferences for Keyboard and mouse and the application itself.
D
DYP
Mar 1, 2009
Universal Access settings maybe? Check and see if they are turned off. Also check setting in Keyboard Shortcuts.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 1, 2009
Archive and install is a last resort, not a fix for just everything there might be.

Except that in this case, it is highly possible that a corrupt version of the Mac OS may have been mass-installed in every machine in the place from a Disk Image?
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 2, 2009
Β…Unlikely suggestions 101.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 2, 2009
Unlikely?

When every machine in the place is suffering from the same malady?

Computers don’t normally catch operational disfunction from each other (like contracting chicken pox!) but the fact that he used a Disk Image to install software site-wide could be a clue to what has gone wrong.

Unless one of his students has managed to write malware to disable the Option key on every computer in the place?!
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 2, 2009
Unlikely, actually more like impossible, if some of them are running Windows and some OS X. The "corrupt version of the Mac OS" suggestion I mean. More likely that global warming is JAMMING the option keys in some way.

Or more seriously that OS shortcuts have been hijacked by some common software.
B
Buko
Mar 2, 2009
More likely that global warming is JAMMING the option keys in some way. Or more seriously that OS shortcuts have been hijacked by some common software.

This would be easy to transfer to every machine in the lab if the the disk image were made from the machine that suffers from these problems.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 3, 2009
one imac was set up and an image was created from that machine and then the rest created

Logic would indicate that the original disc image as transfered to and installed on each machine is damaged. But how does one use the same disk image on both Macs and Windows machines (assuming we’re not using Windows software and OS on both)?

That is, if I’m understanding the problem Guntis posted. I think we need additional details of the installation procedure(s) used.

Neil
GA
guntis_atvars
Mar 4, 2009
On my laptop it was a direct instalation from the DVD’s
As I said earlier an Imac was set up and installed with all toys I wanted then image was created and the machines were then reimaged across the network with the master image
I’m guessin the same process was used with the windows machines

I like idea of something hijacking the keyboard shortcut Can’t figure out were to look in the keyboard shortcut in Photoshops windows keyboard settings

But again would same issue be afflicting mac and windows
GA
guntis_atvars
Mar 4, 2009
On my laptop it was a direct instalation from the DVD’s
As I said earlier an Imac was set up and installed with all toys I wanted then image was created and the machines were then reimaged across the network with the master image
I’m guessing the same process was used with the windows machines one machine was made to order then master image created and then all were updated/create over the network

I like idea of something hijacking the keyboard shortcut Can’t figure out were to look in the keyboard shortcut in Photoshops windows keyboard settings

But again would same issue be afflicting mac and windows
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 4, 2009
Imaged from an iMac to a range of different kinds of machines with different CPUs?
GA
guntis_atvars
Mar 4, 2009
No
Same model imacs with same cpu’s
GA
guntis_atvars
Mar 4, 2009
No I tell alie
the other mac room has 10month newer machines
From memory my "older" mac was used as master
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 4, 2009
What do you have installed in these Machines then? Only neccessary to list the apps that are on both Windows and Mac
GA
guntis_atvars
Mar 4, 2009
basically adobe creative suite premium
Class room compters9Mac & Windoze) have papercut..a program for keeping track of kids printing costs
my laptopdoes not have it
On some but not all macs and windoze we have filemaker pro 9
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 5, 2009
I have no experience of any of these apps. Look into your preferences for them – particularly Filemaker Pro, which I know has created problems in the past. Papercut too.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections