REASSIGNED SCRATCH DISK–NOW, PS WON’T OPEN!!!

B
Posted By
blooskeye
Feb 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Power Mac G4 (AGP) with two hard drives running Tiger. I installed CS4 and everything was fine until I started fiddling around in Photoshop and changed the scratch disk from disk 1 (10G start disk) to disk 2 (80G). All my applications are installed on disk 2 because it has more space. Now, I am unable to open Photoshop. Message reads, "Could not open a scratch file because the disk is not available."

I uninstalled and re-installed PS, but got the same message. I moved PS to disk 1, but same message persists and I am unable to open PS. If somehow I could open the program, I could change the scratch disk back to its original position. Can someone please help? Thank you for any assistance.

blooskeye

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 28, 2009
You will need to trash Photoshop’s Prefs. because your current ones are designating a Scratch Disk that is no longer available.

Hold down Cmd Option Shift while launching Photoshp; and chose to "Delete Settings" when asked.

Once Photoshop has launched, reset your Prefs — including the ones concerning the Scratch Disk.
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
you will need to trash the prefs.If you don’t know how its covered in the FAQs.

Also buy some new hard drives they are cheap. Both drive are woefully inadequate for todays systems and applications. Also all applications should be on the system drive if you want things to work optimally.

You don’t need to shout in the title. can a host fix it?
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
And to add a disk must be HFS+ to be recognized as a scratch disk.
B
blooskeye
Feb 28, 2009
Thank you all! I actually found a fix in TechNote ID 333730. It seems to be working, but if I have trouble again, I’ll do the Photoshop pref trash thing. Sorry I yelled in the title–I know better.

The G4 is a secondary machine that I use for practice, but you’re right, it does need a bigger HD and I expect to install one asap.

Buko, please let me know what HFS+ means; as I likely will use the new HD as a scratch disk.

Thank you, folks, I appreciate your knowledge and your generosity.

blooskeye
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2009
let me know what HFS+ means

that is the disk format you must use
B
blooskeye
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks, Buko. I’ll need this info at installation time.

blooskeye
B
blooskeye
Feb 28, 2009
Sure.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
blooskeye,

All my applications are installed on disk 2

Major blunder. Adobe applications really like to reside on the boot volume, where the OS resides, they want to be installed there from the get go and stay there.

Yes, you need a much larger drive for your boot volume.
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2009
Adobe applications really like to reside on the boot volume,

Nobody reads post two
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
Nobody reads post two

Indeed, I had not read it before I replied to the OP. My bad. 🙁
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2009
I’ll forgive you this time. B)
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2009
🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2009
….and here I was all set to tell the OP to install (Adobe apps) on the startup drive and not to move or rename them…

OK, next time. <g>

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections