RH
Posted By
ronald_hands
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone know of a Canadian online service that will do printouts of panoramas? I’m thinking of something about 6" x 36".

The only service I’ve used is Future Shop and the only panorama that they do, as far as I know, is the 4 x 12 variety.

— Ron
Hamilton, ON

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KM
kevin_mark_molick
Aug 26, 2004
Ron,
Have you considered trying to print this yourself? I am going to starting a panorama project soon and will be trying to print about 6" x 75". I hope to be able to print on my photo printer. I think the cost of having it done elsewhere will be about the cost of a new printer.

Kevin
RH
ronald_hands
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for the comment. I have a b & w laser and I’m trying, strenuously, to avoid buying a photo printer. As Thoreau said: "Simplify, simplify." 🙂

Actually, I’ve been so happy with the quality of the true photo-quality prints that I receive back from the online service that I don’t think I’d be happy with inkjet output. (Yeah, I know — them’s fighting words. Pretend you didn’t hear them.)

As well, I’ve noticed that people who own their own printer seem to be forever fussing with paper quality, clogged inkjets, expensive cartridges, streaks, stripes, print previews, borders or lack of borders or unbalanced borders and myriad other hassles that I’d prefer to avoid.

Of course my views won’t count if Herself decides we need a photo printer.

— Ron
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 26, 2004
I’m facing the same dilemma. About the only thing I can figure out to do is order a 20×30 print from Ofoto and choose the option telling them not to trim the photo. The problem is, you are limited to a maximum length of 30 inches, and I don’t know if it is a cost effective way to do it. I guess that’s why I haven’t done it. I have one panorama that needs to be about 80 inches long to give me an effective print. I have a nephew who works for a custom printing lab and I think he said they have a big roll printer. But I don’t get to see him very often.
R
rsd381
Aug 30, 2004
I have used a sign shop to print the panorama. They have the graphic printers to do the job. It is not a photo process and the print comes mounted on, in my case, fomcore. Because the store is owned by my close friend I don’t know the charge. The franchise is Fastsigns but I would think that other sign stores have the same capabilities.

Robert Daniels
KM
kevin_mark_molick
Aug 31, 2004
I am trying to come up with a way to print a long panorama. It is starting to sound like it may be a lot of trouble. I may look into one of the better printers that will print off rolls. I am undertaking a project where I will be printing about a 6" x 75" panorama. I expext to be coing this several times and want to come up with a reasonable process. I would be willing to pay a lab but am finding that they cannot do long prints.
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 31, 2004
M
MAC
Aug 31, 2004
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:01:06 -0700,
wrote:
Try doing it yourself with either of two programs that cater to this requirement.
Qimage from www.ddisoftware.com
` Digital Camera Poster Creator at www.srs1software.com

Both allow you to print a digital image across multiple pages of output. Poster Creator takes in a digital image and spits out multiple images can can be printed as usual (using a print service if you prefer). The resulting borderless prints can be mounted in sequence to give any size poster you wish. I have used Poster Creator frequently with excellent results. I am less familiar with Qimage, but it has an excellent reputation.

These are inexpensive applications and are frequently available from various newsgroups. They provide demo versions.

Hope this helps… Mike

Anyone know of a Canadian online service that will do printouts of panoramas? I’m thinking of something about 6" x 36".

The only service I’ve used is Future Shop and the only panorama that they do, as far as I know, is the 4 x 12 variety.

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
KM
kevin_mark_molick
Sep 1, 2004
Jim,
Great lead thanks much!
Kevin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections