J
Posted By
J._Kennedy
Mar 12, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all! I’m using CS4. I’m working on some large files. I’ve noticed that after I finish working on the files, my computer (2 GB 800 MHz, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) that everything runs slower. It takes a few seconds to switch programs and to open or close windows. Is there a quick and easy way to sort of clear things up without restarting? Thanks!

Julie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NT
Nini Tj
Mar 12, 2009
Restart Photoshop.
If that doesn’t help, restart machine.
2GB RAM is very little for large files – particularly if you don’t have a dedicated scratch disc. With alrge files PS is using your harddisk for scratch if you don’t have a dedicated external scratch disk. Dependign on how much free space you have on it, the performance of the machine will suffer more or less. Restart always helps as that gets rid of the scratch. As long as PS is still on, scratch is still used.
J
J._Kennedy
Mar 12, 2009
I did try shutting down and/or restarting PS. It didn’t seem to make much of a difference. I do have a dedicated scratch disc as well. Guess I better look into buying more RAM as restarting is the only thing I can do right now that helps. Thanks so much!

Julie
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 12, 2009
Yes it sounds like your limited RAM is the most likely culprit, but how full the hard drives are and how they are configured can also be relevant. Also it would help to know which computer (iMac/MB/MBP/MP/Mini) and how hard drives are connected.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections