Posted By
Micah_Brewer
Aug 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All,

I have what I assumed would be a pretty simple task, however it has turned into a pain. I’m creating for a series of digital stamps for an application that processes checks. Stamps will say things like, Previously rejected – Do not redeposit. The app based on a status calls a file and it is placed on top of the check file.

Anyway the specs are black and white, 1 bit and tiff. SO, I’m typically an AI user so once I realized AI didn’t do 1 bit tiffs I turned to PS…which I don’t know that well. When I create a new document and make it bitmap, 1bit and the size I need, I’m VERY limited with what I can do with the text. I’m not really sure what’s going on. I click on the screen with the text selection tool and the artboard area turns pick. I can’t edit my text once I click off of it and it’s basically blinking black and white??? There is no text layer created, I can’t create layers, the text is added to the background layer (which is locked and can’t be unlocked).

Could someone lead me down the path to glory here? I’m struggling.

I have the AI and PS CS3.

Thanks,
Micah

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 6, 2007
You’re using the Type Mask tool. As you type, you are typing on a Quick Mask (the pink), and when you are done, it becomes a selection (the blinking black and white). This is tool you get if the icon for text in the tool box is a dotted outline ‘T’. Click and hold it, and the alternates will fly out. Use the solid ‘T’; that’s the regular Text tool, which reamins editable.
MB
Micah_Brewer
Aug 6, 2007
John, thanks for the reply.

I’m using the Horizonal Type Tool, which is the solid black ‘T’. The dotted outline ‘T’ is not showing when I click and see the pink, then the blinking b/w text.

If I create a work area and make it RGB rather than bitmap, the Horz type tool works as I would expect. Could it be something to do with the bitmap environment/doc type?

Thanks,
Micah
L
Lesh
Aug 6, 2007
Bitmap mode doesn’t support layers. Set your type in a greyscale or RGB file and then convert to bitmap.
MB
Micah_Brewer
Aug 7, 2007
Lesh, thanks for the response.

Again, I’m pretty basic so I wanted to make sure I understand fully.

I assume you mean create the work area in grayscale and then use the image->mode to ‘convert’ it to bitmap. Please confirm…

Once I’ve done that, what is the Method — where the default is ‘50% Threshold’? Should I adjust that?

Thanks,
Micah
L
LenHewitt
Aug 7, 2007
Micah,

I assume you mean create the work area in grayscale and then use the
image->mode to ‘convert’ it to bitmap. Please confirm…<<

Yes, that is correct.

I assume you mean create the work area in grayscale and then use the
image->mode to ‘convert’ it to bitmap. Please confirm…<<

That should be OK for the type of image you describe – anything at less than 50% will become black and anything greater than 50% will become white.

You can also look at the effect of using diffusion dither if you need some visual sensation of tone – it will look pretty awful on screen but will print surprisingly well.
L
Lesh
Aug 7, 2007
And when you set your type, check the options bar – the anti-aliasing option of ‘none’ will give you type that is all black, and therefore no surprises when you convert to bitmap.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections