EH
Posted By
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looks okay to me. I’d go in and do a little edge cleanup. You have some jagged pixels here and there.

There are lots of ways to make a selection. I probably would have used the Pen instead of the Polygon. Takes some practice, but better in the long run, IMHO.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AW
Ariel_Walden
Aug 7, 2007
Hi,

I think this is my first question on this forum, though I frequent the InDesign forums a bit more.

I was given this photo:

www.freelancebookdesign.com/before.jpg

and needed to extract the equalizer. This is what I managed to do:

www.freelancebookdesign.com/after.jpg

I simply used the polygon selection tool, after a number of failed attempts with the extract filter.

Has anyone got a better way of accomplishing this than I did, and with better results?

Go easy, I’m a noob with Photoshop.

Thanks
Ariel
AW
Ariel_Walden
Aug 7, 2007
(the first image is a 1.3MB download)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 7, 2007
Either choose Make Selection from the Paths palette flyout menu,

or, with the Path layer "selected" in the Paths palette, click on the selection icon on the bottom,

or Ctrl-click on the preview thumbnail in the Paths palette,

or (my favorite) Ctrl-Enter.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 7, 2007
…. or right-click it and choose "Make selection" (my favourite) 😉
AW
Ariel_Walden
Aug 7, 2007
Thank you Ed. So sounds like I’m on the right track.

Now, the pen tool: in fact, I did try that quickly, and I’ve just tried it again. But I can’t make it define a selection. It only defines a shape. That’s why I went for the polygon tool in the end.

How do you make the pen tool mark out a selection rather than a shape?
AW
Ariel_Walden
Aug 7, 2007
Thank you both very much for your help.

Ariel
RK
Ronald Keller
Aug 8, 2007
Ariel,

But I can’t make it define a selection. It only defines a shape.

What Ed and John are referring to are ways to convert an existing selection to a path but I think you wondered how to draw a path with the pen tool?

In the Options bar click one of three choices: paths, shapes or pixels. I think you had shapes selected, not paths…

Regards,

Ronald

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections