M
Posted By
Mark
Apr 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Do you feel that upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0 is worth the money? Is there that much of a difference?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BP
Bill P
Apr 9, 2005
I am still with Elements 2.0 Mark and I must say I like it. If 3.0 is any better I may upgrade aswell.

Bill P

Mark wrote:
Do you feel that upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0 is worth the money? Is there that much of a difference?
M
mrfss
Apr 9, 2005

3.0 isn’t really an upgrade. It is a new, stand-alone, program. You don’t
have to have 2.0 installed to install 3.0.

I run both on my computer as each has advantages over the other, Therefore, depending on what I want to do, determines which program I use to edit with.

3.0 has the magic healing brush which is fantastic for faces, etc.

3.0 has a greatly improved red-eye tool

The cropping tool is better in 3.0. You can switch, quickly from landscape to portrait without having to re-enter dimensions in the toolbar.

However, I like 2.0’s quick fix over 3.0.

Some of the other toolbar options seem easier to use in 2.0

Just my two-cents worth!

"Mark" wrote in message
M
Mark
Apr 9, 2005
Thanks for the input….I just purchased 2.0 on ebay for $15.00, that way I can find out if I like the software without spending on 3.0.

"mrfss" wrote in message
3.0 isn’t really an upgrade. It is a new, stand-alone, program. You don’t have to have 2.0 installed to install 3.0.

I run both on my computer as each has advantages over the other, Therefore, depending on what I want to do, determines which program I use to edit with.

3.0 has the magic healing brush which is fantastic for faces, etc.
3.0 has a greatly improved red-eye tool

The cropping tool is better in 3.0. You can switch, quickly from landscape to portrait without having to re-enter dimensions in the toolbar.

However, I like 2.0’s quick fix over 3.0.

Some of the other toolbar options seem easier to use in 2.0
Just my two-cents worth!

"Mark" wrote in message

JM
Joseph Meehan
Apr 9, 2005
Mark wrote:

I did upgrade. As I recall the main difference was the integration of Photoshop Album with Elements. There were also some functional changes, some better some not so good IMO. I would say 85% remained the same not counting the addition of Album, that I like. There were some improvements to Album that I liked.

Joseph Meehan

Dia’s Muire duit
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 9, 2005
In article , Mrfss wrote:
3.0 has the magic healing brush which is fantastic for faces, etc…

Ditto. I also like the extra functions in the Shadows/highlight tool, especially the lighten shadows control, and the colour temperature slider control in the quick fix panel. The ability to see before and after versions side by side in quick fix is useful, too.

Not that I need it yet, but PE3’s handling of RAW files will be useful when I move to an SLR.

I’m not certain yet whether I like the way it puts thing like layers and styles in the ‘palette bin’.

One drawback, which might not affect you, is that I can no longer use the various SnapActions tools (see http://tinyurl.com/286su ). These are real time-savers and not all their functions have been duplicated in PE3, within which they won’t work.

For me, the upgrade was worth it overall.

Roger
J
jfitz
Apr 9, 2005
"Mark" wrote:

I definitely prefer PSE 3 to PSE2, but why not find out for yourself? Both can be installed on the same computer at the same time without conflict. Download the free trial of PSE 3 from Adobe and compare the two.
CD
Chris Dubea
Apr 15, 2005
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:08:33 GMT, Roger Whitehead
wrote:

In article , Mrfss wrote:
3.0 has the magic healing brush which is fantastic for faces, etc…

Ditto. I also like the extra functions in the Shadows/highlight tool, especially the lighten shadows control, and the colour temperature slider control in the quick fix panel. The ability to see before and after versions side by side in quick fix is useful, too.

Not that I need it yet, but PE3’s handling of RAW files will be useful when I move to an SLR.

I’m not certain yet whether I like the way it puts thing like layers and styles in the ‘palette bin’.

One drawback, which might not affect you, is that I can no longer use the various SnapActions tools (see http://tinyurl.com/286su ). These are real time-savers and not all their functions have been duplicated in PE3, within which they won’t work.

Any actions which work for PSE 2 will work for PSE 3 and accessing them has been made much simpler. The front ends created by Richard Lynch and Ling Nero are no longer necessary.

See http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/actions.htm

There are some limitations, but otherwise, it’s very easy.

Chris
For me, the upgrade was worth it overall.

============================================================ =============== Chris
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 16, 2005
In article , Chris Dubea
wrote:
Any actions which work for PSE 2 will work for PSE 3 and accessing them has been made much simpler. The front ends created by Richard Lynch and Ling Nero are no longer necessary.

That’s the theory, anyway. Would you like to try downloading one of the SnapActions, say Shudder’s
(http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/snapActions/ShudderDD.zip ) and then installing it in PE3, as described on the Sue Chastain’s page you quoted? Perhaps I’m doing something wrong but I can’t get it to work.

Roger
CD
Chris Dubea
Apr 20, 2005
Hi there,

Sorry for the identity change, but I’m on the road and Google is my only usenet access.

I downloaded the file and loaded it into my trial of PS 6.0. The file in question is actually 5 actions. Unfortunately the interface in PSE supports only files with one action. If you can find a copy of a trial of PS 6.0, you can mod the actions to work. It’s tedious but doable.

Let me know and I can get you a copy of PS 6.0 demo. Don’t e-mail as the add’y is fictional.
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for trying, Chris. So what you’re saying is that unless one has the full Paintshop Pro, or an obliging friend who has, one cannot use all the SnapActions tools in PS3.

Roger
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 20, 2005
In article , Roger Whitehead wrote:
Paintshop Pro

Heck, I’ll have the thought police after me if I’m not careful! "Photoshop", of course.

Roger
CD
Chris Dubea
Apr 20, 2005
No, I’m not saying that at all. The demo copy of Photoshop 6.0 will allow you to read, edit and save actions. I don’t remember where I downloaded my copy, but it’s available on the web.

I took the snap actions you described last night and converted them into functioning actions under PSE 3.0. E-mail me at
and I’ll send them to you.

Cheers,

Chris
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 20, 2005
In article , wrote:
The demo copy of Photoshop 6.0 will
allow you to read, edit and save actions

Isn’t that the full copy? AFAIK, it’s only time limited, not crippled.

I took the snap actions you described last night and converted them into functioning actions under PSE 3.0. E-mail me at
and I’ll send them to you.

That’s kind. YHM.

Roger
CD
Chris Dubea
Apr 20, 2005
As far as I know, the version I have is crippled, not time limited. I may find out different in the future ;>

I got your e-mail. I’ll send you the files this evening.

Cheers,

CD
RW
Roger Whitehead
Apr 20, 2005
In article , wrote:
As far as I know, the version I have is crippled, not time limited.

I sit corrected. 😎

I got your e-mail. I’ll send you the files this evening

Thanks.

Roger

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections