DH
Posted By
David_Hendel
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a pdf Slideshow with Photoshop Elements 2.0. When I open the pdf file the slideshow runs just fine.

However, if I include a link to the pdf file in an html page (either directly to the file or using ‘onclick’, the file opens in a browser window and displays the 1st image, but will not cycle through the images automatically. I can cycle through using the cursor keys.

Does anybody know why this works this way? It appears to work this way with both IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.0.1.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 27, 2005
Broadly this is a function of the Web browser. When you click on a link to a file that sn’t a browser "native" type [HTM, JPG, GIF, TXT etc.], it seeks a plug-in to do the viewing. If it finds one [and they exist for all kinds of things, including PDF], it uses that to open the fil ein the browser window. That’s what you’re seeing. I think this is a PITA, as such plug-ins lack the functionality of the "correct" programs. If it doesn’t find a plug-in, it will prompt you to ask whether you want to open the doc in the correct program or download. In your situation, the override is to right-click on the link and elect to download.

As an aside, I would never put a PDF slideshow on a Web site, as they’re too darned large. I prefer the generated Web sites from Organizer.
DH
David_Hendel
Apr 28, 2005
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, this is going on a CD and not a web site. I’m trying to create an autorun application and give the user the choice of running the slideshow, or viewing the individual images through a series of web pages. It seems to me to be the easiest method to distribute the slideshow and images.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 28, 2005
This is by design, in the PDF reader plug-in from Abobe. The full Acrobat will run the slideshow ok, but the plug-in won’t.

I believe that if, in the AUTORUN.INF file, you put the PDF filename ony (if my memory is ok, something like RUN=File.PDF), then Acrobat should start and load the slideshow.

And, make the last slide a black background slide with some white text that says something like : "The End. To view the full size pictures, open Windows Explorer and browse this folder, on the CD: \PICTURES\… "

It’s only a thought…

Ray
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 28, 2005
David

Personally I’d simply go for making a "Web site" and putting that on the CD.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections