RG
Posted By
Ron_Goodenow
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My setup is an XP pc with P3 equivalent processor, 512meg RAM and lots and lots of disc space.

3.0 has been working perfectly for several months until yesterday when initially it stopped, telling me I had insufficient RAM. Ok, I checked various monitors and seemed to have plenty, and no other major programs were running, but rebooted and right away that message was repeated when I tried to open 3.0.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled. Same problem. I then removed Elements references that I could find in registry and tried to reinstall, but could not. I got an error message that said "please install the disc: 1". After running every utility I have, checking for viruses, spyware, and doing a restore to an earlier date I tried to install and this time around got what I was told was a complete process. But when I looked at the main Elements directory, only the main program exe and one or two other files was there. Other folders seemed full. Uninstalled and reininstalled. Same thing happened. So there’s where I am at the moment. I have seen some advice on installing from HD, but want to get some feedback on what my problems might be. Every diagnostic I’ve run suggests my hardware is ok, and the computer is running smoothly. Just to test it out I uninstalled a very heavy utilities program and reinstalled it and it is working perfectly. I desperately want to avoid a reformat or going out and getting an expensive restoration program.

Advice welcome. I suspect there is something in my registry clogging things up, but I am not an expert. Incidentially, I tried installing from three optical devices, and
a backup copy which had worked once before. I apologize if this problem has been addressed fully in the forum.

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 29, 2005
Ron,

I’m pretty sure your hardware is ok and that the initial RAM problem was caused by corrupted preferences. Take a look at this for the future:

Colin Walls, "Elements 3.0 Out Of Memory issue." #1, 18 Apr 2005 2:53 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Of course that is not going to help any now. An uninstall/reinstall leaves all kinds of things from the previous installation including the preferences files so that would not have fixed the problem.

At this point I would uninstall again, if available do a system restore to the point after the first uninstall, look at the following to be sure you don’t loose any previous Organizer work:

o3v3tz, "Incremental backup" #2, 28 Apr 2005 2:04 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/1>

and then delete the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\ PhotoshopElementsHelp C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Adobe\ Photoshop Elements
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0

Reinstall with at least everything in the systray stopped paying particular attention to anti-virus software. I prefer a completely clean install as instructed here:

<http://www.delorme.com/support/installxp.asp>

(Obviously all references to Delorme software should be replaced with your PE3 CD.)

Click where it says " Click here for a printer friendly page." and print the instructions.

Ignore the To Uninstall section.

Follow all of the instructions under To Install and, most important, steps 1 through 5 of After the Installation. Do not connect to the Internet at any time until you have completed the last steps since you will have no anti-virus or firewall protection.

Note: The instructions don’t mention that after the Restart in Step 6 of To Install you will get a Window titled System Configuration Utility. Just click OK. The System Configuration Utility window will open. Click OK again and continue. This will go away after you complete "After the Installation".

You mentioned copying the cd to the hard drive and doing the install from there. That has definitely been the only solution in some cases.

Bob
RG
Ron_Goodenow
Apr 29, 2005
There’s blood on my keyboard, but Bob’s advice was useful and effective! Thanks very much. The net at its best.

One change I made was to install the program on my D drive (separate hd where I had put the installation program)
I’ve also killed Organizer, which I have no use for. I did run additional diagnostic and cleanup utilities and found some uninstall and other errors which were fixed, but nothing worked until I did the deLorme routine.

As they say after a major operation, we have a much healthier computer as the result of all this pain.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 29, 2005
Ron,

Really glad it worked for you and appreciate the update. I’m a bloody but still unbowed retired (in 2000 after 34 years) data processor.

Can’t let ’em get the best of us. 🙂

Bob

PS: Don’t forget the reset prefs (or, better yet, backed up prefs) as a first line of defense.
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 29, 2005
I’ve also killed Organizer, which I have no use for.

Curiosity. What tool do you use for organizing you images? I am a big fan of Organizer but always on the lookout for functionality to hassle the Adobe developers for. 🙂
RG
Ron_Goodenow
Apr 29, 2005
Don’t think I can help much. For many years I have simply organized folders on my C drive by general topic, year and subtopic topic (or in the case of the railroad shots I do, company and year) and saved editd files to them. I keep raw files on discs. Kind of like Fibber McGee’s closet but it has always worked for me.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 29, 2005
Ah, Ron, you’re a man after my own heart! 🙂 "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it."
CW
Colin_Walls
Apr 29, 2005
Guess we all have our own way of doing things …

I first got a real digital camera 2 years back, giving up film after 25+ years. Fortunately, I got Photoshop Album at that time and the 7-10X increase in the number of pictures I was taking could be controlled. My pictures typically have 3 "parameters": time/date [normal ordering in Organizer, so that’s "free"], place and subject. I couldn’t figure out how to do this with folders without having [at least] 2 copies of each image. Tagging takes away that need.

I wouldn’t want to force you to try Organizer, but, since you paid for it, maybe you might want to give it a whirl…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections