Determing object’s size in PE3 for use in other Apps (ie. Word)

B
Posted By
bob733
May 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First, this is a great forum and I have received lots of help (Lord knows, I need it ha ha ). Anyway, here is the next one:

How do I determine how to size an object I am creating in PE3 so that it will fit nicely into other Applications (ie., Word). For example. I want to create a handwritten signature object (JPG or PNG, Gif etc,., whatever is best to use) using a Wacom pad and stylus in PE3. Then while running Word for Windows, I want to Import Picture From File and place the signature object it in the Salutation area (right after "Thank you," and above the printed name.

When I have tried doing this in the past with other objects, the object (eventhough it looked great in PE3) was real small when brought into Word (which prompted a previous question about labels in this forum). (I couldnt resize the object on the label…..)

Thanks again in advance

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 7, 2005
Bob,

What is the resolution of the object you create in PE? From your description of the problem I would guess that it is at the usual default of 72 ppi. Try File, New. Set the dimensions to 3" wide and 1.5" high and the resolution to 300 ppi and create your signature on that. You will have more flexibility if you crop the signature tightly so that you have little surrounding white space. With that density of pixels you will get a clear, large image in Word. Not sure why you can’t resize there but this is how I do it:

(I’ve never used a tablet but am assuming that the results in PE are the same as painting with the mouse.) For my signatures I simply scanned them at 600 ppi, used levels to get a good, black image and saved them in jpg (max quality), tif, and psd formats. For use in PE I open the appropriate format, resize to the resolution of the project, and copy and paste. Word won’t handle PSD. In Word (2002 but this has worked the same all the way back to whatever I had under Windows 3.1) I either insert picture from file or copy from PE and Paste Special selecting Picture in the options. Then I left click the picture to select it, right click it and choose format picture. In order to be able to move it freely I go to Layout and select "In front of text". To resize I shift click a corner and drag either way. Shift click preserves the aspect ratio.

Check the resolution of anything you try to move into Word or PE. You really need a minimum of about 225 to get good results. I stick to around 300. The reason I scanned at 600 was to give me some room to adjust.

Bob
JJ
Jim_J
May 7, 2005
Bob,

Have you checked the image size and resolution? I would experiment with that a bit. If the image appears to be the right size, it may be that the images you are bringing over are about 72 dpi. Try 180 dpi to start…

Cheers

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections