TM
Posted By
Tina_Magee
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have multiple copies of my photos which is using too much HD. I need to thin files. In comparing photos to determine which to keep and which to trash I have discovered there are several factors to consider But just what is most important in determining over all quality.

Example:
Photo 404 #1: icon view:1368×1960, List view: 508 KB, Open in Elements: 33.33% at 19 inches x27.222. In Image Size it says 1368×1960 pixels & 72 resolution(pixels/inch) 19×27.222

Photo 404 #2: icon view:1368×1960, List view: 1.1MB, Open in Elements: 16.67% at 9.12 inches x13.067. In Image Size it says 1368×1960 pixels & 150 resolution(pixels/inch) 9.12×13.067

These particular two appear to be EXACTLY the same quality. I enlarged the smaller on to 19 inches and compared pixels which seem to be the same but note the size %’s. One is 16.67% and the other is 33.33% !

Not all photos compare equally and if not carefully examining them I could trash the better one. (If just looking at the numbers!) How do I determine which to keep? What is the most reliable indication of quality. I have hundreds of photos and really can’t check each and every one in such detail. What should I do? This is making me crazy.

Also, I Batched some files(to max .jpg or with no change) to make the icon in icon view appear with the photo (for easier sorting). This was a mistake because I have lost quality. Apparently that feature is useless. The damage done I am now trying to salvage what I can and I really need HELP

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2005
The percentage you’re looking at is virtually useless when your concern is quality. That’s merely telling you what you’re viewing it at on your monitor.

Each example above represents exactly the same image, but #2 has been resized to a higher resolution. Note you have the exact number of pixels in each file, and it’s the number of pixels you want to be concerned about.

When you say you batched some files to make the icon viewable and then lost quality, where did you lose the quality? Monitor view? Again, don’t judge quality by what you see on your monitor. Judge the quality in terms of what kind of print you get.

As far as a fast and furious way to sort them out, that probably doesn’t exist. Someone may have thought of a way, though, so don’t take my word as being final.

If you have to weed them out manually, keep the ones with the highest pixel count, unless, of course, you’ve been resizing them through upward resampling. In that case, keep something that is closest to the file that came off the camera, because that contains the most original digital information.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections