JS
Posted By
James_S._Woolley
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Windows XP Professional with SP-2, Elements 3 and a Canon i9900 printer…simply the BEST Photo printer EVER made in my opinion! I’ve been using the standard windows program to print photos easily. I’ve always been able to use it to print borderless prints for all my needed sizes…4 x 6, 8 x 10, 13 x 19, 11 x 17, letter size, etc etc.

Now with ELEMENTS 3 I can’t figure out how to print borderless prints?? Am I simply missing something? Elements 3 Must be able to print Borderless prints.

I would very much appreciate someone’s time to let me know what’s up and how to print borderless prints. I set the printer to my standard choice of BORDERLESS as I’ve always done with the very basic windows print program…the one that comes up when you double click a photo in Windows XP. BUT I’m getting borders on those prints made with ELEMENTS 3?

Thanks again and Hope Your Day Goes Great!

Sincerely,

James
Atlanta GA

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
Joseph Meehan
Jun 1, 2005
wrote:
I’m using Windows XP Professional with SP-2, Elements 3 and a Canon i9900 printer…simply the BEST Photo printer EVER made in my opinion! I’ve been using the standard windows program to print photos easily. I’ve always been able to use it to print borderless prints for all my needed sizes…4 x 6, 8 x 10, 13 x 19, 11 x 17, letter size, etc etc.

Now with ELEMENTS 3 I can’t figure out how to print borderless prints?? Am I simply missing something? Elements 3 Must be able to print Borderless prints.

I would very much appreciate someone’s time to let me know what’s up and how to print borderless prints. I set the printer to my standard choice of BORDERLESS as I’ve always done with the very basic windows print program…the one that comes up when you double click a photo in Windows XP. BUT I’m getting borders on those prints made with ELEMENTS 3?

Sincerely,

James
Atlanta GA

I did not print it, but it appears I could. It takes going down a few levels to get to the printer selection, paper selection and setting several options, but it looks like it was going to print borderless

How far did you get in setting it up?

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
BB
brent bertram
Jun 2, 2005
James,
Are you selecting "borderless printing" in the page setup tab of the print driver ? I’d guess that should do it, assuming a compatible paper and size. Elements itself doesn’t do "borderless" but if the printer suppports it, you set the option in the printer driver. That’s how it works with my Epson.

Hope this helps.

🙂

Brent
B
Burt
Jun 2, 2005
James – I am using a Canon i960 which probably has a similar driver to the i9900. Also PE2. I bought PE3 months ago but haven’t bothered to install it yet. PE2 (and probably PE3) have many ways to accomplish the same task. I will tell you how I do borderless prints. For example, to print a 4×6 borderless print I set the crop tool to 4×6 and crop the image. I then go to file/page setup, set the paper size and either portrait or landscape, in the page setup screen click on the printer, properties, main tab, set the paper type, click on the page setup tab, set the paper size, portrait or landscape (may already be set from the file/page setup opening screen), and borderless. If your driver has the same screens you can also move the slider that expands the image slightly to avoid any white border from showing. On the I960 the reccomended setting for the slider is second from the right but I move it to second from the left as you will get less ink sprayed past the paper edge on the foam under the paper path. I print almost all borderless prints, but you should be aware that the the printer onboard memory "counts" the borderless prints toward the dreaded "ink tank full" message which then requires that you get the printer serviced. It also counts the cleaning cycles and possibly all prints toward this required service. Head cleaning occurs at the extreme right of the head travel over a small foam pad, and after sufficient ink buildup Canon programs the printer to first warn you and then stop functioning until you get the ink tank counter reprogrammed to zero and the pad changed. I have read that the reset codes are available on the internet and you can probably get by with resetting it once and not doing anything to the pad (ink tank). wrote in message

Sincerely,

James
Atlanta GA
CK
Clyde_Kronfelder
Jun 2, 2005
James,
I concur with Brent. The borderless option is selectable in Print Options dialogue.
JS
James_S._Woolley
Jun 2, 2005
Thanks for your Replies!!

Yes, I have a PRINTING PREFERENCES window that can be OPENED any time I print and one Option I always pick is BORDERLESS. I then close that Window which is where I pick other things Like PAPER TYPE, SIZE OF PRINT, Etc. I then tell it to go ahead and print the photo.

They always print with borders using ELEMENTS 3?? As a matter of fact the It’s very frustrating especially since I spent about $80 for it … I cannot seem to figure out how to do something I’ve taken for granted up until now.

Another problem I’ve encountered with ELEMENTS 3 is everytime I want to enlarge the print, it always tells me the QUALITY of the print is going to be less…"Image will print at less than 220 dpi at selected size." ? What’s this all about? I generally print enlargements of 5×7, 8×10, 11×17 or 13×19(they print in about 3 minutes with the Canon i9900 and in the Windows Printer program come out looking like I had them printed at a photo lab!). Windows prints the same quality at all sizes I print although the area that prints can vary a little by size of print which I find reasonable.

I must be missing something in ELEMENTS although I’m far from a beginner. It doesn’t seem to be very Intuitive which is frustrating. Thanks again for your VALUABLE Time. I really do appreciate all your help!

Sincerely,

Jim Woolley DDS
Atlanta GA
At
ML
Morton_Last
Jun 3, 2005
James, I have the same problem re borderless prints in PE3. What I do after editing, is save the photo in max JPG format and then use Canon Easy PhotoPrint to make the greatest borderless prints on my Canon PIXMA ip6000d printer. I believe Canon Easy PhotoPrint came with your Canon printer.
HB
Herb Brown
Jun 3, 2005
You’re right. It’s a superb utility and can be downloaded from Canon’s website.

Herb

wrote in message
James, I have the same problem re borderless prints in PE3. What I do after editing, is save the photo in max JPG format and then use Canon Easy PhotoPrint to make the greatest borderless prints on my Canon PIXMA ip6000d printer. I believe Canon Easy PhotoPrint came with your Canon printer.
JS
James_S._Woolley
Jun 3, 2005
Thanks for your reply Morton!

I do have that program but I don’t feel I should have to use another program to Print especially for the price of Adobe ELEMENTS.

ELEMENTS should be able to do something as basic as support borderless printing. It should also NOT decrease the quality of enlargements which I’ve found it always does…at least that’s what it says it does ie; IMAGE Will Print At Less Than 220 dpi At Selected Size.

I find that very strange indeed. The windows XP print window that opens when I ask it to print anything does both of those functions easily. I must be missing something as I can’t believe Adobe would put out a product that doesn’t do basic printing functions well?

Thanks again for taking your Valuable Time to help me!! Have a pleasant weekend.

Sincerely,

James Woolley DDS
Atlanta GA USA

PS Interestingly Canon EasyPhotoPrint ONLY prints *.jpg files? I rarely use *.jpg when scanning photos. I prefer *.bmp which I think prints better photos. Here again I find that strange that a print program ONLY prints one kind of file. That greatly limits the usefulness of the program and encourages people to find a more useful program such as the basic program for printing that comes with Windows XP.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 4, 2005
James,

Not having a Canon printer and never having had anything but HP printers I’ve not jumped in here but maybe this will help.

I always print from the Editor rather than Organizer. I’ve found that if I go to File, Page Setup and specifically set the printer options before going to File, Print that PE then knows my print parameters and I have no problem getting borderless prints in either standard or custom sizes up to 8.5×11 (my printer’s max borderless size).

Don’t know the Canon "Print Properties" dialogue but if it lets you define the borderless parameters and paper size give this a try.

Bob
JS
James_S._Woolley
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks for your kind reply, Bob!

I tried your approach and am delighted to let you know IT WORKED!! Thanks so much!! I only wish Adobe had been as helpful.

I think all sorts of great things are available in AE but there’s a huge learning curve unfortunately. I tried a new Beta software recently by Google of all people called Picasa2. I was overwhelmed immediately by how easy it was to do things with photos but it’s far from AE when it comes to abilities to change photos. It’s very basic when it comes to that.

Again, Bob, thanks for your Help and I hope your weekend goes Great!

Sincerely,

James Woolley
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 5, 2005
James,

Glad it worked. You never know.

there’s a huge learning curve

Don’t be like me and tough it out the way I did with PE1. Get a good book such as Barbara Brundage’s "The Missing Manual". It’s well worth it and will save a lot of frustration.

< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596004532/qid=111797 2135/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-2128818-2528656>

If this link doesn’t work just go to Amazon and search Books for Brundage.

And, of course, this forum is the place to get answers.

Bob
S
Sepen
Jun 6, 2005
James, to explain the quality thing. Your image for printing purposes is made up of DIP (dots per inch) which has to do with the amount of detail present in your image at a fixed size. Think of your image like a piece of graph paper. If you zoom in it will look like a bunch of little squares that are all different colors, the DIP thing amounts to the number of these little squares present in a square inch. The higher the number, the greater the detail.

When you print an image at a size larger than the dimensions the image was set at when you took, scanned or otherwise created it at, the DPI will automatically be reduced because it is having to stretch all those little squares larger to cover the space you want when printed. For instance, lets say you start off with a 1×1 inch image at 300dip. If you choose to print it at 2×2 inches, your dip will change to 150 because you are still using the same image with the same amount of information but it is now being stretched over twice the amount of space…

This all works both ways, too. If you reduced the size of your image in printing to .5x.5 inches, it would be able to print at 600dip because the same amount of information would be getting shrunk into a smaller space…

Windows does all of this when you print through it as well, they just don’t warn you.

I probably didn’t do the best job of explaining all of this and it is a little more complicated than this but if you can make heads or tales of my post, it should give you the general gists.
N
nannygoat
Jun 6, 2005
ppi (pixels per inch), not dpi
JS
James_S._Woolley
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks to both of you for your explanations. I had a basic understanding of that but reading it helps me understand it better.

I guess your mentioning of Windows doing it BUT not telling you brings up a point. It’s logical to think Windows should have the same problems as those that Adobe warns you about.

I don’t see ANY loss of noticeable detail taking say a 4" x 6" scanned photo to a 13" x 19" photo using my Canon i9900 with the Windows Printer program. NONE! I would expect some loss of quality(more and more grainy) as I print photos that size. That’s not totally true. If I use a 20 KB file I do.

I often use from 6000 KBs to 20 to 300 MB file sizes. I don’t see ANY loss of quality using those file sizes! Since I use the Windows Viewer and Printer most of the time, I don’t know IF Adobe prints would end up printed similarly? They may? I’ll have to run a test sometime soon to see.

I can even tell the printer to enlarge the 13"x19" enlargement by a factor of 4 using the Canon POSTER function where it prints 4 of the 13"x19" to make one print and I still don’t see any loss of quality?? I don’t understand Why either and I’ve always thought I should. I don’t often question things that happen in my favor. It’s almost like if I do I’m asking to loose that nice thing that occurs.

The question is "What would be considered a big enough file size for a scanned photo that’s 4" x 6" so that you not expect any noticeable loss of quality when you enlarge that photo to a 13" x 19" photo? I really don’t know the answer to that if Anyone happens to know. I would think there is a point where that should be true regardless of the program or the printer you use to print the enlargement.

I hope I haven’t lost too many of you as I tend to use lots of words to express myself. I apologize if I’ve done that.

Thanks again for EVERYONE’S time and interest. I am pleasantly surprised at how many strangers can be so helpful in this world where time is so precious. I very much appreciate Everyone’s Valuable Time!

Sincerely,

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections