BB
Posted By
Brenda_Beamish
Jun 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, I am wondering if it is possible to do use color management in Photoshop Elements 3.0. I am in the process of profiling my scanner and printer. I have already profiled my monitor. But now I don’t think it is possible to assign scanner profile in Photoshop Elements 3.0. I think that this is called softproofing, as in when you go to print, you will actually see the correct colors on your monitor as what you print on specific paper profiles. I really don’t want to upgrade to PS PS2. Thanks for any help. Brenda.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
RobertHJones
Jun 3, 2005
Brenda,

Elements is a color managed application. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that the full Photoshop product has but you still use basic color management.

PSE 3 doesn’t allow you to arbitrarily assign a profile like Photoshop will but that shouldn’t be a problem. Most scanner drivers can be configured to use your custom profile with the scanned image and either embed the profile or convert internally to a standard sRGB or Adobe RGB colorspace for output — either way, Elements can handle it. My Epson driver, for example, does not embed the custom profile but it does use it to convert to sRGB or Adobe RGB. Check the configuration instructions for your specific scanner
and driver.

Since you will be embedding a profile, set Elements color settings to full color management. This honors the embedded profile.

Bob
BB
Brenda_Beamish
Jun 3, 2005
Thanks Bob,

I think I get it, except I have the Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II and last night I looked in the manual and I cant’ seem to find anywhere to assign a new profile, as when I create one using my Kodak IT8 target. I am going to work on it today. So if I can get past this and embed the profile while using my scanner, then I must convert to full color management when pulling up the image in Photoshop 3.0. Then when I print, I just assign the profile for my paper and printer, then I believe the preview should give me a correct color managed preview? Maybe I will attempt to contact Konica MInolta about embedding a profile, I understand their support not to be the greatest, but I will try. Thanks again, Brenda.
BB
brent bertram
Jun 3, 2005
Brenda,
" then I believe the preview should give me a correct color managed preview?" It seems you are intent on soft proofing . I don’t think you’ll find a workaround to soft proof with Elements. The Print Preview image is not color managed, so it won’t help you at all , if soft proofing is your intent.

🙁

Brent
BB
Brenda_Beamish
Jun 6, 2005
Bob,
So I believe that you are saying that even if I can apply or embed the scanner profile within my scanner, which I don’t think I can, and use full color management option when opening my picture, it will just use embedded profile, but not show me correct colors? By the way, I have the Dimage Scan Elite 5400 II and nowhere can I find how to embed or assing the profile. I even called Konica Minolta and they confirmed that the only options I have are the ones installed with the scanner?? So I am not sure where this leaves me because I think that alot of expensive paper gets wasted because what you see on your screen looks very close but sometimes color variations are there. So I don’t really want to fork out $500. (for an upgrade from PSE 3.0) for CS2. I wonder if Silverfast will let me assign the profile I created. It is a little cheaper and I hear it is very good. Sorry, Bob, to bother so much, I guess I must be intent on soft proofing, only because if it does what it says it seems like a money saver, when considering price for paper and ink. (In the long run). Thanks a bunch, Brenda.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 6, 2005
You should be able to get pretty darned close even without a scanner profile once you get everything set up in PE. The primary use of Soft Proofing is for situations like where you are sending a file for commercial printing and want to check how it will look on the particular paper/ink combination the printer is going to use.
BB
brent bertram
Jun 6, 2005
Brenda,
Even with Photoshop, softproofing is not perfect. For instance, there are colors which can be printed on modern photo inkjets which cannot be displayed on the typical CRT screen. Those colors are "out of gamut" for the sRGB CRT device. There are very definite limits to screen/print matching . Even so, very good, but not perfect , results are obtainable. By the way, Silverfast WILL use your scanner profile, if you desire, and deliver the final image to Elements converted to whatever RGB colorspace you choose. Probably that should be AdobeRGB .

🙂

Brent
R
RobertHJones
Jun 7, 2005
Brenda,

I have to agree with Barbara and Brett on the soft proofing. I wish Elements had soft proofing but it doesn’t. But you can get along quite well without it unless you’re doing the type of work Barbara described and if you’re doing that, you should consider using Photoshop.

I have to agree with Brett on using different scanning software. I did a little research and it appears that you cannot use a custom calibrated profile with your Dimage scanner software. You can have the software convert to a standard Adobe RGB colorspace by setting the profile in the color matching section of the preferences dialog. However, that will use the default scanner profiles for the conversion and not your calibrated profile.

Software such as VueScan and Silverfast can use your calibrated profile and output to the Adobe RGB color space for use with Elements or Photoshop. That may be your best bet. Silverfast has an excellant reputation — be careful: the SE version says it uses your native scanner driver and profile which implies that it won’t give you the custom profile capability since your driver doesn’t support that. That could force you into the more expensive version. I’m not that familiar with VueScan but it supports your scanner, can do the job also, and is less expensive — you’ll want the professional version. It’s shareware while Silverfast is commercial and Vuescan probably isn’t as feature complete. But, it may be entirely satisfactory for your needs. You’ll need to campare features and decide. You might want to look at a few reviews or even download VueScan and try it free at http://www.hamrick.com before you choose. Does anyone reading this and using VueScan care to comment?

Regarding seeing the "correct" colors. Full color management will use the embedded profile which is exactly what you want to do. The whole point of embedding a profile is to tell color managed applications using the image how the color values are to be interpreted. Without an embedded profile or color space indicator, the industry standard is to treat the image as if it were in sRGB. If all the device profiles are accurate, the colors you see should be a very good match. Just remember, every device differs in what it can record or reproduce and your monitor probably has a smaller gamut than either your scanner or printer.

Bob
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 7, 2005
Brenda……

Probably a silly question,but have you checked out the ‘preferences’ help page on your scanner. This gives some options for colour management.

p.s. this site might also be helpful <http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1781>
BB
Brenda_Beamish
Jun 9, 2005
Thanks Everyone for your input. I have downloaded the demo of SilverFast Ai 6 and it does in fact let me embed my scanner profile and convert to Adobe RGB. I have viewed one picture of my generic scanner profile and one with my calibrated profile and there is a difference! When looking at my original slide the calibrated profile beats, hands down. I think I am on my way to saving all that time and money on incorrect colors on my screen and paper. Thanks again. By the way, Malcolm, there is nothing under preferences that lets me select profiles. Brenda
MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 9, 2005
Brenda…..

I was referring to the following :

On Dimage Scan Utility Screen open preferences Dialog Box (8th from left)

At bottom of Preference screen, with Color Matching on, Output Color Space gives you a range of options.

Having calibrated my monitor using the Apple Display Calibrator,I’ve left my scanner set on Apple RGB.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections